Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: vsmon & client taking 60% cpu

speedtrap Guest

Default vsmon & client taking 60% cpu

On a regular basis, vsmon and the ZA client are taking a combined total of about 60% of my dual core amd althlong, hitting both cpus about equally, 40% on vsmon and 20% on the client. And, if I've got two logged on users, it's even higher with eached logged on user account taking about 20% each. All that ZA processing and no network activity, none.If I open the za gui, my system gets even slower and the za gui may even stop responding for a couple minutes!I've been a loyal fan and paying customer of za pro for years, but I'm about ready to give up. I've got the zippy little 3800 dual core machine being brougt to it's knees by za. smileysad:OK, enough whinning. Any suggestions on what to do?TerryWin xp pro, sp2, all security/patches, 64bit dual core amd 3800+, gigabit mb,1gb memory, nvidia video, soundblaster audio.ZA 6.5.722.000

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.5

Default Re: vsmon & client taking 60% cpu

Hi
    Do you have the builtin hardware firewall enabled?Perhaps not.

Try this instead- something running is causing the conflict and this may be the cause of the high ZA CPU usage. So what happens when you systematically shut things down until the ZA begins to behave normal? This may solve the problem. Also what happens when both components of the ZA are used on one processor instead of both (hope I got that right). The conflict could be from something in the Services as well. What happens when the ZA is enabled in the Safe Mode- less drivers and processes are being used- is there still the conflict?

The best solution maybe to contact the Tech Support from the Zone Labs. All of the experience and knowledge is all theirs in the end.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

speedtrap Guest

Thank you for the ideas. No, the internal firewall is not running.I'll have to see if I can figure out a conflict, shutting things down, running in safe mode, etc.Problem is, this happens _randomly_, all is fine for hours, then w/o notice, puter starts running really slow.That's when I pop up the task manager and see the % for ZA being high.After about 5 - 10 minutes, it seems to settle down for some reason, nothing that I've done purposely though.Thanks again for the suggestions,I'll plink away at this for a while to see what I can find.Terryp.s. I have anti virus and run virus, adware, malware, and spyware scans regularly.

Hi SpeedTrap.

Two things come to mind.
    First is the ZA OS firewall and the second is the Windows OS.
    Perhaps the first one can be conflict with the security applications.It maybe adviseable to check the "Allow program interaction" in the Options in the right click of the security components in the Program listing. It is possible that they are entering or changing registry keys and the ZA has trouble coping with this.

The windows OS conflict maybe uncovered by finding what Windows component is running high when the ZA is running high. The Task Manager is a good tool for helping to track this, but the Process Explorer is very superior to the Task Manager. Process Explorer can be downloaded from sysinternals.com and is available as freeware.

Just some thoughts.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

nefratus Guest

i've got the same problem.

The same happens to me. Zonealarm freezes and takes 60% cpu. This happens randomly during work and it lasts several minutes. The only way is patiently try to turn it off and on again but it is very hard.

This is very annoying. I tried to track what could bother ZA but i find nothing.

I was also very satisfied about zonealarm till now.

There's one way i could explain this. Some time ago i switch from standard celeron 2.0 to celeron D 2.8 64bit.
    This doesn't happens before. Maybe this bites with processor 64bit architecture.

Another thing i noticed that the older versions of ZA pro work fine but this one makes so many troubles.

PC: celeron d 2.8 64bit, nvidia video, sb audio
    Version. ZA PRO 6.5.772

Sorry - my english is poor ;|

Message Edited by Nefratus on 08-21-2006 02:42 PM

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.5

Hi!
    The PCs that I use are 64 bit Pentium 4 Hyper Threaded processors. The Windows OSs I use the Windows XP Home SP2 for 32 bits not 64 bits. No problems because the Windows OS is still 32 bit. The Zone Alarm has yet to make a Firewall that will operate on a Windows 64 bit OS. Neither has a ZA been made for the new Vista.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

speedtrap Guest

Thanks!I enabled "Allow program interaction" and now for a couple days, I haven't seen the problem. If it lasts a week, I'll consider it a cure. Where is the best place to get information on this setting and what the implications are when enabling it?Thanks!Terry
    <BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE>

Message Edited by SpeedTrap on 08-23-2006 07:32 PM

speedtrap Guest

I'm still seeing vsmon and slclient using 30 - 40% cpu, especially when I log back onto an active login.(This is very repeatable by just selecting logoff =&gt; switch users (Windows key + L), then logging back on.)This jump in cpu utilization lasts for about a minute.I am no longer getting the extremely slow user interface response as I had before enabling application interaction control.I've got ethereal running as well showing almost no network traffic at the same time.Process explorer is showing a jump in I/O by both vsmon and slclient that corresponds with the jump in cpu%.I'm still at a loss as to why these two components are behaving this way.Terry

speedtrap Guest

After a few more weeks, I'm still have trouble with ZAP. Now it has gotten to the point that ZAP client won't even fully open it's gui. The basic window opens, then it just gets stuck. The process % is still around 20 - 40, and nothing ever happens with the gui. (vsmon around 20 - 40 % too) Warnings still pop up for network access, etc., and they work (click allow/deny), but the client gui won't open.I tried uninstalling ZAP and then installing a previous version (6.1 something) and it just got worse.So, for now, I've uninstalled it and now my dual core 3800 is back to it's zippy self.Sad, I've been using ZAP for years, and always been pretty happy with it's _lack_ of intrusion into my system performance.TTFN,Terry

ai_tak Guest

<BLOCKQUOTE><HR>Nefratus wrote:
    celeron D 2.8 64bit. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>They make a 64-bit dual core celeron processor?? Celeron is typically a stripped down cheaper processor (which looses more performance than price), it seems way out of the ordinary for them to make a dual core 64-bit one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information