Thread: PERFECTDISK V7 AND ZONEALARM

mrloverman Guest

Default PERFECTDISK V7 AND ZONEALARM

ZoneAlarm released a fix to their Anti-Spyware engine to fix the conflict between PerfectDisk and ZA but the problem has returned. I have the full version and the Anti-Spyware engine is 5.0.36.0 but the offline defrag fails. If I manually disable the srescan driver then the defrag works.

ZONEALARM PLEASE FIX YOUR SOFTWARE.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.5

billc Guest

Default Re: PERFECTDISK V7 AND ZONEALARM

Report this to Zone Labs Technical Support if you would.

corkyg Guest

I reported that to ZA Tech a couple of weeks ago. Turns out that file, srescan only applies to a ZA function that I never use - so I just disabled it manually in all my systems. The process for manually disabling it is in Raxco's FAQs.Anyway, that srescan function only relates to ZA's anti-spyware function. That is something I do not use because I prefer another solution. When that function is enabled, it prevents PerfectDisk from executing an off line defrag of system files. If you use another ASW system, such as Windows Defender, just disable that function and leave it disabled. What Zone Labs needs to do is to cause that to be automatically disabled when the Anti-Spyware function is turned off in the main control panel.

Message Edited by CorkyG on 08-24-2006 09:44 PM

Interesting that srescan only relates to ZA's antispyware function. It is also included in ZA free 6.5. Maybe it's used by the MailSafe? I have that turned off anyway, as I use NAV to scan incoming mail. I have found it affects the install of some software that neds to access some registry keys (e.g. to install its own services). So I'll try disabling it.

rilla Guest

Hi,

I have the same problem with ZA Pro v6.5 and PD.

I had to do a image restore a few times after I updated the spyware module. The image I restored doesn't have ZA Pro on it. I want to reinstall it.

I'm wondering if by disabling the spyware module if this would solve the problems.

I needed to get to windows updates after I installed the Pro and it wouldn't d/l any updates, it just froze up. I had to cold boot it. After that I noticed my control panel, administration tools refused to open at all. So it was back to restore. This update really whacked out my system bad.

Rilla

isis Guest

Becausemy machine was performing so well (I finally got build 722 working), I needed a bit of excitement that only a new ZA upgrade can provide. I'm confident that build 737 won't disappoint.Since I'm just embarking on this odyssey, this is all I have so far:PerfectDisk 7 boot-time defrag has slowed to a crawl. What previously required only a minute or two, now occupies the better part of an hour.Interestingly, only the FAT32 partitions are affected; NTFS still zips right along. I'm just tossing this out here on the off-chance that it might give someone an idea as to what is wrong. I could always convert to all NTFS, but that would be like cheating; tantamount to looking in the back of a puzzle book for the answers.Isis

Thread Information