Thread: McAfee Security Center Update trying to access internet after I had uninstalled it??

Hybrid View

2harts4ever Guest

Default McAfee Security Center Update trying to access internet after I had uninstalled it??

Good evening,

Just wondering outloud if anyone else using ZA has ever uninstalled 'McAfee Security Center' and then still have ZA saying the 'McAfee Security Center Update' is still trying to access the Internet?

I was giving McAfee Anti-virus a try yesterday and after deciding it was eating up too many resources I went back to Avast.

However, after uninstalling both the McAfee Anti-virus and its Security Center (from my Add/Remove section) I am still having ZA find attempt after attempt by the Security Center Update tool to connect to the internet.

Anyone else ever experience this or have any idea how I can get rid of this left over McAfee feature?

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.5

Default Re: McAfee Security Center Update trying to access internet after I had uninstalled it??

Hello,I have posteda link belowto help you get rid of all traces of McAfee as sometimes uninstalls leave traces of the program and may cause future conflicts with other security software that you may install. Good luck and please post back on your results.http://ts.mcafeehelp.com/?siteID=1&r...ution=1152x864

Message Edited by NNard on 08-25-2006 11:21 PM

2harts4ever Guest

Default Re: McAfee Security Center Update trying to access internet after I had uninstalled it??

Morning NNard,

The way you have been helping me lately it won't be long before you can claim me as a 'dependent' ...lol

The link to the McAfee help site did the trick!

I went ahead and reinstalled the Privacy segment of McAfee ... then uninstalled it ... and then followed McAfees' directions to successfully get rid of the McAfee Security Center.

As of now (after about an hour) ZA has not picked up any additional alerts that the McAfee Update tool is trying to access the Internet.

So it looks like, with your help, I am back to normal. That is as normal as you can be when using a computer ...lol

Once again I thank you for your continued support and help. Believe you me when you are 64 pushing 65 you need all the help you can get....lol

Have a great weekend!

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

You are very welcome and thank you for posting back with a successful result. Enjoy your weekend too.

socalreviews Guest

Sometimes the McAfee Security Center and it's components remind me of an old "B" rated monster movie where no matter how many times you think the monster is finished it keeps coming back to haunt you again and again.:0This is just one more example of the horrors of Windows security software.

2harts4ever Guest

Morning SoCalReviews,

You said: " ...This is just one more example of the horrors of Windows security software...."

Amen to that!

Regards,

2harts4ever

ai_tak Guest

On multiple occasions of uninstalling mcafee from people's computer's I have noticed that after the uninstall it creates a new exe file in the temp folder (name something to the effect of "update") and sets it to load at startup. No part of the total uninstallation of mcafee removes this file or removes it from loading at startup. Anyone have any idea what mcafee was thinking on this one?

2harts4ever Guest

Hi Ai_Tak,

I utilized the directions given in the link provided by NNard (McAfee Uninstall Help) to me and it worked like a charm.

Regards,

2harts4ever

ai_tak Guest

I had no problems what-so-ever removing this little program they leave behind and set to load at startup, just confused as to their reasons tout it there at allset it to load at startupwhy it needs to access the internet even after mcafee gonewhy it never automatically deletes itself

Message Edited by Ai_Tak on 09-07-2006 10:59 PM

2harts4ever Guest

Morning Ai_Tak,

I would be interested in answers to your questions myself.

Have a great weekend!

Regards,

2harts4ever

Thread Information