Thread: Zone Alarm Free and Wireless

corroonb Guest

Default Zone Alarm Free and Wireless

I'm currently using Zone Alarm Free on my laptop which uses a wireless connection. Does Zone Alarm work with wireless networks? I'm asking because I have no blocked access attempts but with my wired desktop I get hundreds everyday. I think there is a firewall on the wireless router but I'm not sure how good it is. Sorry if this is in the wrong forum or is a stupid question. Thanks

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.5

ad_hock Guest

Default Re: Zone Alarm Free and Wireless

Hi corroonbYes ZA works with wireless. If you use a wireless router it's normal not to have blocked incoming attempts in ZA logs as the router blocks them first. What I don
    t understand is why you say your wired desktop get hundreds every day. Could you give some more detail how the computers are connected and the network is setted up?Best regards

corroonb Guest

Thanks for the answer. I have a wireless ADSL router to which my desktop is connected by an ethernet cable and the Zone Alarm on that computer registers a lot of access attempts. I don't have a problem with that PC as I have a firewall, anti-virus software, a spy-ware checker and a Trojan checker and none of these have picked up anything. Mabye this counts as a trusted zone for Zone Alarm and my computer is visable.

ad_hock Guest

Are those attempts incoming or outgoing and are they firewall or program attempts? You may see that in the log viewer and what is more important in the case they are incoming attempts are they from an ip such as 192.168.x.x or other type of ip and in that case have you forwarded ports in the router or use DMZ for some games,file sharing or a program using a server. I ask all this because if the desktop is behind the router, the router sould block the incoming attempts and the log should be quite similar to the wireless.Best regards

corroonb Guest

Yes, all the attempts have the same IP address 192.168 etc. The router is on default settings. I don't know what forwarded ports or DMZ are but I don't fileshare or play games online. I did play Guild Wars a few months ago. Thanks for your replies

ad_hock Guest

Hi corroonbThose ip's are private ip's and come from your LAN,so no problem.I think that they come from your router trying to comunicate with your computer.Try adding your router internalip to the trusted zone and they must stop. In your computer hit start,run,type cmd in the text box and click OK.In the black command window that opens type ipconfig /all and hit enter.Then look at the default gateway and the corresponding ip that must be your router internal ip.Take note of it and then in ZA tab firewall,page zones, in the box at the bottom (entry detail),click add and than choose ip address. Enter a brief description,like DHCP ,enter the ip you found and make sure the zone is setted to trusted.I think those attempts blocked should stop.Best regards

corroonb Guest

Thanks very much for your help.

ad_hock Guest

You're welcomeBest regards

Thread Information