Thread: Drive Letter for CD-Rom DROPPED

fredss Guest

Default Drive Letter for CD-Rom DROPPED

I am running WinXP Home and have used ZA Free for quite a while and like it a lot.

I recently noticed that my CD-Rom drive dropped its letter designation of "Q" which I set quite a while back. I can use Disk Management to reset it but as soon as the next boot it drops back to "G" where I have a Zip Drive connected - the Zip drive gets bumped to "H"

This is not the end of the world but I have not been able to solve this problem. I posted this on the Microsoft News Group for Hardware with few meaningful responses.

Today, however, I read this post:
    Chuck wrote:
    > I've used ZoneAlarm for several years and always used "update" to
    > upgrade to the latest version. With the most recent release
    > zlsSetup_65_731_000, it reset my CD and DVD drive letters on the
    > secondary IDE bus. The drive on the primary IDE bus was not affected.
    > Changing the drive letters back using the Windows Disk Management tool
    > worked until the next reboot, but then they were changed again. I
    > typically keep letter my optical drives so they have letters at the end
    > of the alphabet. After the reboot, the drives would move to the next
    > available drive letters after the hard drives.
    >
    > I've done several tests and verified that ZoneAlarm is responsible for
    > the behaviour. I'm anxious for a solution if anyone knows of one.

I had ZA V 6.5.722.000 and had this problem. I decided to upgrade to 731 and it continues.

Can anyone advise regarding this mattter? The poster says he confirmed that ZA is responsible for the "behaviour."

Thanks, FredSS

Message Edited by FredSS on 08-28-2006 11:07 AM

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.5

Default Re: Drive Letter for CD-Rom DROPPED

Another user had the same issue with 6.5.XXX rearranging drive letters earlier.I'd say use 6.1.XXX as I haven't seen anyone reporting it rearranging drive letters on this forum.

fredss Guest

Thanks,

I decided to do that and now ZA (v 6.1.xxx) will NOT install - it says that ZA ecountered an error.

It appears to stop right away after starting to extract temp files.

Any ideas?

flyyourway Guest

First of you may have to delete the temp folder and delete all of its older content,ZA stored the same temp install folder and if it detects an older one it tries and uses that file and it might be corrupted.Once you have accomplished that I would suggest you manually uninstall all other content of ZA and then try a re-install of the older version.

MANUAL UNINSTALL

fredss Guest

<blockquote><hr>FlyYourWay wrote:
    First of you may have to delete the temp folder and delete all of its older content,ZA stored the same temp install folder and if it detects an older one it tries and uses that file and it might be corrupted.Once you have accomplished that I would suggest you manually uninstall all other content of ZA and then try a re-install of the older version.

MANUAL UNINSTALL
    <hr></blockquote>

Thanks for the link to the Manual Uninstall - that did it and I was able to install ver 6.1.744.001 with no problems.

Most importantly, the Disk Management change to the Drive letters works fine and this older version of ZA does NOT mess up the letter assignments as the newer versions do.

Thanks, again, most appreciated.

Fred

obelix_bavaria Guest

Default Re: Drive Letter for virtual CD-Rom AND OTHER Devices changed

Hello everyone,

since ZA's free version started with 65_xxx_xxx there were problems with the Drive Letters.

I had the following problems on my laptop (WinXP pro):
    the four Drive letters from the build-in Card-Reader and
    three virtual CD drive letters from different programs
    were changed after every shutdown!
    You can change them back with the Windows Disk Management tool and with the virtual CD programs, but you have to do it every time you start Windows. That's boring :-(
    This happens only with versions starting with 65_xxx_xxx (I tried 65_725_000 and 65_731_000)!
    In the VirtualCD-Forum are many other users with the same problem using ZA 65_xxx_xxx.

Now I installed the older version 61_744_001, switched off automatic update, and everything works fine :-)

dgcohen Guest

I did a clean remove of my current installation, downloaded and installed 70-302-000 Feb 20, 2007. Still have the problem. Would like to see it fixed but will live with it rather than use an older version.
    Dave Cohen

Thread Information