Thread: ZA free 6.5.731 (srescan) still prevents apps from changing registry settings

Default ZA free 6.5.731 (srescan) still prevents apps from changing registry settings

With ZA free 6.5.722, there were problems preventing apps changing registry key data (e.g. IE home page). This wasfixed with 6.5.371 and indeed the home page is no longer locked, but apparently other registry keys still are. There is no documentatrion available about any registry lockdown in ZA free 6.5.731, andusers of ZA free can't send in bug reports.I have found on several occasions that having ZA free 6.5 731 installed prevents apps from editing data in the registry. Only a clean uninstall of ZA resolves this, because srescan (which I think is the culprit service) loads very early in the boot sequence, even if ZA is set not to load at startup. Disabling srescan in device manager and restartingalso does not work, it loads anywayas long asZA is installed.Recent examples:1. Install of Roxio EMC 8 suite did not install correctly because it could not register its services correctly in the registry.2. Radlight filter manager could not set order of merits for filters, it reported that it could not set order of merit (whichrequires a registry edit).In both cases a clean uninstall of ZA free 6.5.731 allowed the programs to function normally.It is really very inconvenient to have to clean uninstall ZA free 6.5.731 every time I need to make a change on my system, andsubsequently reinstall andrebuildZA's program list (can't be saved in free version).srescan was, as far as I can tell, introduced with v 6.5. I'm not even sure it's needed for ZA free, especially if MailSafe is turned off.It does not appear in the services.msc, and trying to change its startvalue in the registry gives access denied (even with protect ZA files unchecked and full control in the key's permissions), which is probably also why disabling it in device manager does not stop it.We really need a way to switch it off without having to clean uninstall.The only thing I haven't tried is removing or renamingsrescan.sys (in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ZoneLabs). I'm worried that restart would fail altogether if I do that. If anyone has tried it, please let me know.

Default Re: ZA free 6.5.731 (srescan) still prevents apps from changing registry settings

I wonder if the utility found at the following site could help you neutralize srescan.....http://www.jakeludington.com/ask_jak...der_error.html

Default Re: ZA free 6.5.731 (srescan) still prevents apps from changing registry settings

Thanks for the suggestion. I have unlocker, it's very good at what it does, but it is for deleting locked files and folders, not forunlocking locked registry keys.I'll have to find out if the problem persists in 6.5.737, just released.

Thread Information