Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zone alarm security suite- update is running

ameneses Guest

Default Zone alarm security suite- update is running

Dear users:
    I keep getting an arrow over the zone alarm icon and if I hover my pointer over, it says:
    Zone alarm security suite- update is running
    Whle this is happening I don't have the option to run antivirus or antispyware.

What does this mean, it's been going on for an hour now?

Arturo

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.5

ragna Guest

Default Re: Zone alarm security suite- update is running

I have exactly the same issue (but i am using ZoneAlarmPro, 30days trial, on that comp).
    I wish i could help you. I 've tried everything: 5 times did i do a clean uninstall, making sure none was left over. To no avail. :-(

I guess i have to switch to other firewall....

ragna Guest

ameneses, do you have Spyware Doctor installed?
    If so the problem could be that. I' ve solved mine by disabling all Spyware Doctor services. After that no problem anymore with updater keeping running. I am MAD because it took me many! precious hours to find this.
    I had also contacted ZoneLabs by email, but they are closed during weekends, so no reply.
    I hope you can also contact PCTools to ask if they could fix this. I did already but the more people do this the more chance we'll have they will.

Message Edited by ragna on 09-02-2006 12:56 PM

sickofthis Guest

geez **bleep** did they do? I'm a poor **bleep** and have to resort to free utilities. But now I can't stand this app and i've used it for years! Did thye add somethign that ruins computers of people who don't buy Pro or something? I get the message several times a day and it stays there for quite a while. The whole time my computer bogs down and everythign take 20 times longer to do.

ameneses Guest

Dear Ragda:
    Did you solve this problem regarding UPDATE IS RUNNING appearing over the ZA icon?

Arturo

ragna Guest

Yes i did Arturo, by disabling the spyware doctor service.
    I also emailed Zonelabs & PCTools to let them know.
    ragNa! ;-)

ameneses Guest

Dear Ragda:
    Even though I have Spydoctor, I don't have it running all the time and use it on demmand only.
    I can't identify any processes that relate to the program eather.
    Any advices, the problem is annoying and I can't run the antispy or antivirus.

Arturo

ameneses Guest

Do you have Spyware Docor running?
    If so there is a conflict with ZA. I recommend as sugested elsewhere to DISABLE spyware scanning in ZA and rebbot. This solved my problem and I continue to use Spyware Doctor Onguard but with antispyware in ZA off.
    Before I did the former , I updated MANUALLY the antivirus signatures using the following links and instructions, but ultimately you have to disable spyware in ZA.

It is very easy to update the antivirus.Just go to http://avu.zonelabs.com/sigs/vet.signatures-9791.zip
    If you copy and paste the above web address in Internet Explorer,the latter will download a zip file which contains the virus signature files.Now,go into safe mode,unzip the file that you downloaded ,select all the unzipped files,cut and paste them in the zonelabs folder found in the system32 folder.(overwrite any old files).Restart your pc normally AND ENJOY!

Note that the version of the signature file will definitely change,so obviously you should take it into consideration ,that is you should copy and paste the latest virus signature's number before the.zip extension in the above URL.

ameneses Guest

Default Update is running-PLEASE SOMEONE FROM ZONE LABS HELP

Dear users:

After all that I recently posted , I STILL HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM:A WHITE ARROW OVER THE DESKTOP ICON,and if you hover over it with the mouse it says: Zone alarm Security Suite-Update Is Running.
    While this is happening you CAN'T run ANY SCAN and this goes on for hours.
    The antispyware tweak was useless.
    PLEASE SOMEONE FROM ZONE LABS HELP

ragna Guest

Arturo my name is RagNa not ragda!
    It doesn't matter if Spyware Doctor is running or not. As long as the PCTools service is in your services (use msconfig to disable it) you will have this problem.
    I have contacted Zonelabs & PcTools. I have received several emails from Zonelabs with several solutions, but none worked. In their last email they told me that the best was waiting for PCTools to fix this. I have only got one email from PCTools saying they will investigate this, but since that, nothing. Although i saw that they have released a new version. Perhaps the problem will disappear with this last one. I can't say, because i have removed Spyware Doctor.

Please do write PC Tools, the more people write them, the sooner perhaps the problem will be solved (if it isn't yet).

Message Edited by ragna on 09-12-2006 10:29 PM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information