Thread: Zone Alarm and Norton AntiVirus 2006 no longer work together

naphead Guest

Default Zone Alarm and Norton AntiVirus 2006 no longer work together

Today (August, 31 2006) My Norton Protection Center displayed a "Urgent Attention msg - ZoneAlarm Firewall is not protecting against intruders." Norton AntiVirus 2006) I called Norton support and they explained to me that they no longer support ZoneAlarm and Norton AntiVirus to be installed together. I was told that Norton's Internet Worm Protection is conflicting with Zone Alarm and that I need to choose to un-install either Zone Alarm or un-install Norton AntiVirus.This has been working fine up until the above date. Norton AntiVirus help center could not help me get this working they told me to choose between the two programs. Zone Alarm and Norton AntiVirus have been working fine on this computer for months. Is there anything we can do to fix this issue from YOUR end? I really really love both programs I have been using both for YEARS. Is there a resolution for this issue?

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.5

socalreviews Guest

Default Re: Zone Alarm and Norton AntiVirus 2006 no longer work together

I was not aware that Symantechad "ever" provided past supportfor having ZA and Norton Antivirus work together so that is news to me. On the other hand the contributors in this ZA user forum will provide you with any known information that works to help you get the two products working together. I do not know if there are anyrecent new incompatibilty issues between Norton Antivirus2006 and ZoneAlarm 6.5x butmanyZA users have been able to successfullyuse both productsby following the steps below.
    1) If you are using the ZA 6.5x firewall then you need to turn off (disable) the Norton Antivirus 2006 worm guard protection since it acts as a type of firewall but it does notoffer thesame protection features or the configuration options of the ZoneAlarm 6.5x firewall.
    2)If you use ZA for a firewall then if possible itwould berecommended to turn off the Norton 2006 Protection Center firewall monitoring feature so that you are not nagged with any future Norton Protection Center alerts about the ZA firewall.
    3)It is also very important that you read and follow instructions belowtofixthe known HOSTS file conflict that occurs when Norton Antivirus 2006 halts during its scheduled scans. I am not sure if this is possible with ZA free(itmight be) since I do not use the free version nor have I even tested itmyself but these instructions would apply for sure to ZA 6.5x paid versions.
    The new ZA 6.5x series monitors and guards the HOSTS file as part of its OS Firewall features. Many other security applications use and modify the HOSTS file as a way of blocking particular malicious internet links and adware sites. I also run Webroot SpySweeper 4.5 and had a HOSTS file conflict between ZASS 6.5.722 and SpySweeper 4.5. There was a simple fix posted about this issue to fix the problem with SpySweeper. The fix probably also works to fix other HOSTS file conflicts including Norton AVs control and monitoring of the HOSTS file. The key to solving this conflict is to change the HOSTS file control settings in ZA or turn off the similar feature in the other security application.

Here a link to that thread with the SpySweeper fix:
    http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=13041
    There is another general fix explained in this thread that may also apply to other applications that change the HOSTS file:
    http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=39629
    4) If you have any questions about applying any of the steps 1 - 3 or you are experiencing conflicts then post back in this forum so that any contributors can help you find more solutions. If you do not have any more questions please post back anyway withyour results.

Message Edited by SoCalReviews on 08-31-2006 04:11 AM

Hi SoCalReviews,You are right to wonder about the Free versions limitations. A review of the Zonelabs product comparison page reveals that the free version does not have the Operating System Firewall or any Advanced Firewall features.

socalreviews Guest

Ledoc, thank you for confirming that since I don't stay up to date on all the features of the ZA free version. The free version definitely is missing some of the configuration options of the paid version as well as many features. I recently read from a post by another user in Off-Topic that the firewall lock feature is no longer available in the latest free 6.5.x versions but it used to be. I am guessing that some of these changes might have been done to simplify it for newer users and to steer any long term ZA users toward getting the subscription versions.

Message Edited by SoCalReviews on 08-31-2006 06:10 PM

naphead Guest

Interesting, today my Norton is no longer barkin' at me about ZA. Norton seems happy again, but I'm completely not convenced. I will definitely try the options provided by you SoCalReviews. I love free and I love ZA. The free version has been working for me quite well for years. That might be the deciding factor to make me want to purchase ZA. Since I have been using ZA free for so long I am considering purchasing the Full version. If I do purchase the Full version of ZA how many machines can I install it on without running into a license conflict? I have several machines and I really don't want to have to buy ZA for each one.

finditfast Guest

Hi there.Yes I had the same prob.It was after I got some updates from symantec at about the same date as yours.If Norton dont support for both programmes running on the same pc I think we are all out of luck.Things are getting very complicated out there with all this data.Iv gone for the ZoneAlarmPro as the firewall is very good when setup right.Good luck

socalreviews Guest

Hello naphead, You will need a subscription license for each machine that you install a paid ZA product on. The good news is that they have reasonable rates for multiple machine and multi-year subscriptions.

ai_tak Guest

I have NAV 2006 and ZA pro working together happily.What you should dofirst is disable Internet Worm protection in norton options as this is a mini-firewall.Next disable the "Norton Protection Center Service" in the management console (right click on "my computer", click manage, go to services and applications, then services) then find "Norton Protection Center Service" and set it to disabled, then stop it. (this will stop NAV from bugging you about stuff that microsoft security center can tell you about, as well as reducing resource/cpu usage at login/startup)Then(in the same window) find "security center" and set it to automatic, then start it.

Thread Information