Thread: ZA random disable of internet to programs

xiren Guest

Default ZA random disable of internet to programs

I decided to reinstall ZA last night due to Symantec picking up keylogger trojans. I discovered that the problem which led me to abandon its use was still there. Please help.I'm running:ZA version 4.5.538.001WinXP Pro SP1Netgear routerCable InternetProblem:Windows loads and ZA works fine. -Random amount of time goes by- (normally a few hours)The programs that are already up and running still have internet access but new copies of the same program are unable to connect to the internet. eg. One IE browser is up and workingyet if I start a new browser, the new borswerwon't have acess to the net. This affects all programs. Whats more confusing is that after a short period (~10min) they start to function as normal again. This goes into a cycle....During periods where programs are blocked from internet, it still shows that they have full internet acess in ZA Program Control.Problems goes away once ZA is disabled.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:4.x

billc Guest

Default Re: ZA random disable of internet to programs

From your post, I'm not sure if your IP is not being renewed or there is another problem. Do you have your LAN and subnet in the Trusted zone of your Firewall > Zones panel? The entry should look something like this 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0 .

xiren Guest

Thank you for replying.I only have a internet zone under Firewall > Zones the IP matches exactly from the one you mentioned.

billc Guest

Change your LAN from the 'Internet' zone to the 'Trusted' zone in your Zones panel and see if that will fix it. I think the problem is your DHCP server is trying to renew your IP with an UDP packet and by 'default' Zone Alarm blocks UDP packets unless the IP is in the Trusted zone.

xiren Guest

Problem resolved after switching zone: internet to trusted.Thank you for the great support, you are a real Guru

Thread Information