Thread: Ebay

the_judge Guest

Default Ebay

Hi there everyone.

I've just completed a fresh install of security suite and all is good, apart from Ebay. Whenever I access the majority of the site for example My Ebay, much of it has not loaded and instead of showing pics it shows the little red cross.

I've tried adding the site into the list under privacy to enable all cookies and I've also tried a few things with IE (which by the way is the beta version 7).

I am sure it is down to ZA though as when I briefly shut it down, ebay loads fine and completely.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:5.x

ad_hock Guest

Default Re: Ebay

Try the following:in privacy main cookie control click custom.In the new window at the bottom check 'show privacy adviser'.Then load the site and when privacy adviser shows at the low right part of your screen,click the link 'click here for details'.You go to the site list in privacy.Locate the site entry and right click over it and choose options.Then in the new window with three pages for each page uncheck anything that may be checked and click apply before going to next page.Do this until finish the three pages and don't forget to click apply before going to next page.Then clean your browser cache and see if you can load the site properly.
    Best regards

ronjulian Guest

<blockquote><hr>Ad-Hock wrote:
    Try the following:in privacy main cookie control click custom.In the new window at the bottom check 'show privacy adviser'.Then load the site and when privacy adviser shows at the low right part of your screen,click the link 'click here for details'.You go to the site list in privacy.Locate the site entry and right click over it and choose options.Then in the new window with three pages for each page uncheck anything that may be checked and click apply before going to next page.Do this until finish the three pages and don't forget to click apply before going to next page.Then clean your browser cache and see if you can load the site properly.
    Best regards
    <hr></blockquote>

Well no, that did not work. Now what?????

neilka Guest

You may have cracked this by now, but as I have had exactly this problem over the last 24 hours and seemed just to have cured it, I thought I would pass on what I did.

I choose to set up ZA with a default high level of security, then open it up for a given site if I need to. Often just allowing mobile code is enough, but as you say with eBay I just couldn t get e.g. My eBay to load properly.

Essentially the actions I took are the same as have already been posted turn on Privacy Advisor, allow everything once PA has taken you to the site (s) it reports.

I tried this myself, and I kept on adding more and more eBay sub-domains and giving them full access, but I still got some non-loaded icons on My eBay and it messed up the overall format of the screen.

So what I did was to go back to square one. I ve never fully understood whether the rules you apply to a domain e.g. site.com, are automatically inherited by all sub-domains e.g. here.site.com. Equally I don t understand if you choose to add here.site.com to the site list yourself, whether you can give it different rules to site.com (I used to use Norton, and I seem to recall that its site list display groups all related names together under *.site.com so you can easily see what s happening one of the few areas where I prefer Norton to ZA).

Anyway, I digress. In view of the above, I went through every entry for ebay.co.uk and .com in my privacy list and removed them. I then went to my browser (Firefox) and removed all eBay cookies. (I was fooled some while ago by the fact that if you delete a cookie entry in Firefox, it moves the site name to the Exception list, so you then need to go to that list and remove eBay as an exception).

I then cleared the cache and reloaded My eBay. As I said I normally disallow everything, so when Privacy Advisor popped up I went back in to ZA and firstly I deleted entries such as www.ebay.co.uk and replaced it by adding ebay.co.uk. For this site I then allowed mobile code, cookies etc. everything in fact except 3rd party cookies. Remember to go into Options for the reported site and uncheck each type of Ad that is disallowed, as these do not appear in the summary site display. It may not strictly be necessary to allow each one, but I couldn t be bothered to check the effect of each in turn, given that I am choosing to trust the site.

I think I then repeated the delete cookie and clear cache process in Firefox before reloading My eBay which now looks fine.

So the entries I have in my ZA site list are:

ebay.co.uk - everything is enabled except 3rd party cookies
    srv.uk.ebayrtm.com - Added by ZA and unchanged by me so far so no mobile code, no cookies, etc.
    uk.ebayobjects.com - Enabled mobile code, persistent cookies and pop-ups, but not web bugs nor private headers

Hope this helps. I suppose it remains to be seen whether this has solved all the page loading problems throughout the site, but so far so good. Hope this helps.

I'm running XP Home SP2, ZA Pro build 6.5.737 and Firefox 1.5.0.6

neilka Guest

Well woopy doo, I've just gone back into eBay and I still have exactly the same problem, so the wonderful analysis in my previous post is obviously nonsense. I'll keep trying and see if I can come up with something more permanent. What's annoying is that some of the Privacy Advisor messages don't make sense - e.g. it tells me it has blocked web bugs from ebay.co.uk when I have that option set to Permit. Grrr.

ronjulian Guest

First off, you MUST turn on EVERYTHING! All cookies web bugs and all. It **bleep**s but it will not work with out it.
    Next, go to your preferences on the left side of your "my ebay" page. Set all you want, keep me signed in email pref ETC, BUT!!! You must turn OFF Zoan alarm while you update the changes or the changes will NOT be set on ebay. Something about ZA not letting your privet info go out to ebay to save.

Then log off, turn ZA back on and scan for virus's and spy ware. Use as many deferent scanner programs as you can get your hands on. They ALL miss something!!!

I use ZA, Spybot S&D, AVG, Add aware and McAfee all back to back and there is always some thing that all programs get that the other ones miss.

NOTE, you MUST load ZA BEFORE McAfee!! McAfee crys about "known conflicts" with ZA and will not let ZA load. But if you load ZA first they all play well together.

ronjulian Guest

Yes to everything you said! I forgot to tell you about 3ed party cookies. NO NO NO!!!!

Web bugs Is how ebay puts things like photos, dialog boxs and all that on your screen, So if some things don't load, make sure web bugs are allowed.

Thread Information