Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ZA makes my computer freeze and insufficent memory error

bluray Guest

Default ZA makes my computer freeze and insufficent memory error

Hi.

I am in desperate need of assistance.
    I have been using Zone Alarm Pro for some time now and I have not encountered any problems until now.

In a normal situation when you shutdown Zone Labs Security, you would expect the thing to take a few moments and then shutdown, then after a few seconds windows security center will pop up saying "your computer is at risk, firewall not detected" it will say something close to that.

The Problem with me at the moment is that when I shutdown Zone Alarm it takes forever to do so and when it finaly does my computer freezes for like some time, no windows alert comes up (by the way I have disabled windows firewall because I use ZA) the main problem though is that I cannot shutdown my computer, it will say "You do not have appropiate permission to shutdown this computer" another thing is i cannot acces or load up anything no programs, i cannot even load windows explorer, every time i try it will say "Could not open program not enough free memory, please quit one or more programs" and I dont even have any programs running.
    And this all happens after shutting down ZApro.
    I have tried reinstalling ZA but I can't do that even because to reinstall requires the ZA security center being shutdown and that causes the whole computer to crash.
    Please help me, thank you and kind regards, BluRay.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:

kickmyjiminy Guest

Default Re: ZA makes my computer freeze and insufficent memory error

Your not the only one experiencing this problem. My 1 1/2 year old laptop is having the same problem along with my dads desktop, I can't uninstall or shutdown zonealarm with out it locking either computer up. I don't have Pro, we just use the freeware version of zonealarm. I hope they get back to you soon, cause this has been a problem for me for about three weeks now, as far as i can tell.

mr_mycroft Guest

Ditto..

Seems to happen on my laptop. I'm nervous to update my desktop PC in case it shows the same problems. I wanted to stop ZA so i could do a clean reinstall in safe mode and ran into the same problem.

Everything is just dandy while ZA pro is running. Once i shut it down the laptop will not run another program and shows insufficient access or memory errors. interesting behaviour is that whatever is open when i shut down ZA seems to continue to work. but once that window is closed i can't run it again..

This has been happening since the last update.

Windows xp pro running on a Dell e1505 core duo laptop (t2500 @ 2.0 ghz) 2 ghz cpu with 1gb ddr ram
    za pro:
    ZoneAlarm Pro version:6.5.737.000
    TrueVector version:6.5.737.000
    Driver version:6.5.737.000
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.83.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200609.355

Also running Mcafee 8.0i with windows firewall turned off.

any clues???

mdig Guest

I think I have a related problem but a variation on this theme. When I first applied the V6.5 update I had the freezing problem. Since then I crashed out and rebooted about 5 times leaving my ADSL connection on. During that process Microsoft warned me of some patches to apply for XP SP2 which I also applied. The result is my PC is slow to shut down but at least I can shut it down. It shuts down better if I shutdown zone alarm before shutting down the PC. I've also found that I can only shut Zone Alarm if my ADSL connection is up.I run Zone Alarm Pro and Nortons so I don't worry about turning off Zone alarm before disconnecting.Compatibility issue with the upgrade seems to be related to the XP SP2 and Zone Alarm 6.5. Problem wasn't there with XP SP1 and I seem to recall seeing something on the microsoft site which made me think I should have done the SP2 upgrade before the Zone alarm upgrade and I may not have had this problem.I've logged a support request I'll let you know if I get any help

dagi Guest

SAME HERE !!!!!I have been running ZA for YEARS now. No I have the exact same issues as described above. Even completely rebuilding a PC, loading only WinXP, ZA and MCAFee on it, then turning ZA off give that problem. Anybody that solved this yet?Does a ZA uninstall fix it?Dagi

mr_mycroft Guest

ah well.. Problem has surfaced on my desktop now..

Also i remember how i first found this problem. Somehow when i try to access my router homepage all the pages are showing as mostly blank. A post elsewhere in these forums told me to turn off ZA. So i turn off ZA, kept the browser open, hit refresh and then i was able to see the settings. But when i closed the browser then i got locked up.

I was using Firefox but i think the problem happens with explorer 6 as well.

One interesting observation.

Usually when shutting down my laptop, i get those nice little icons. When i stop ZA, and everything locks up, and i goto start and shut down, the icons don't appear and i get the PC shutdown window that was similar to Windows NT. It gives me a text option with a drop down window.

I've since uninstalled ZA pro from the laptop. Now the colours and themes seem to be dorked up..

sigh....

bluray Guest

What happens to mr_mycroft happens to me aswell my comp after turning ZA off seems to be stuck in between a win 98 view and an xp view.
    I have stopped using ZA for now when will they fix this problem?
    HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have you all made sure you are clean from virus's, rootkits, and other malware?
    My homes are SpywareHammer.com and DonHoover.net and BleepingComputer.com

Consumer Security - 2011 & 2012

Tilting at windmills hurts you more than the windmills.
    -From the Notebooks of Lazarus Long
    Senior of the Howard Families

bluray Guest

Why aint there anyone here with some actual helpfull suggestions for godssake!

mr_mycroft Guest

@ Hoov - I know you needed to ask that. Rest Assured that i didn't post into this forum until i verified that it was only ZA causing problems. Just so you know, i've been building my own systems for years and currently work in IT. So i feel that i'm a little more thorough than my parents who still sacrifice a chicken before they use a PC!

Between ZA, Mcafee, Adaware scans - i am not running anything malicious. The laptop is exactly 45 days old and thus less likely to have picked something up.

I have since uninstalled ZA from the laptop, turned on windoze firewall and it is back to running fast and without issue. somehow during the ZA uninstall in safe mode, it changed my theme to windows classic.

I verified the problem is not occuring on my desktop. I'm now able to access the linksys router homepage without issue too. Laptop boots up MUCH faster.

Definetly a ZA problem.

Must have been worked on by the same people who dorked up the latest apple firmware and itunes updates! LOL.. just kidding guys.. :P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information