Thread: Ad blocking on new Zone Alarm Security Suite is not blocking as many ads as the older version.

tcarr101 Guest

Default Ad blocking on new Zone Alarm Security Suite is not blocking as many ads as the older version.

I just upgraded to the new version of Zone Alarm Security Suite last week.
    I have
    version:6.5.737.000.
    Before that I had let my membership lapse and had a version that was probably a year and a half old.
    I have ad blocking set to high, but it seems like more
    banner ads are getting through than with the older version.
    Is there any way to correct this?
    I

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.5

billc Guest

Default Re: Ad blocking on new Zone Alarm Security Suite is not blocking as many ads as the older version.

My guess is your Zone Alarm database got corrupt in the upgrade and thus ZASS is not recognizing your Privacy settings properly. A database reset should fix that, but you'll have to reconfigure your settings. Reset the database this way; you will lose your customizations..

1. Boot your computer into the Safe Mode. {Instructions if needed}
    2. Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder.
    3. Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files in the folder.
    4.Reboot into the normal mode.

tcarr101 Guest

Default Re: Ad blocking on new Zone Alarm Security Suite is not blocking as many ads as the older version.

Thanks for the info Bill. You say I will have to reset my settings. Does that mean just the settings for Privacy or all settings?

I am assuming you mean all settings, so I have a few questions. Will this create any more work than just doing what I did when I got the upgrade? Will it just revert to default settings set with the upgrade?

billc Guest

All your settings will revert to 'default' and those entries in your Privacy List and My Vault will need to be re-entered. Basically it will be like a new install.

tcarr101 Guest

Thanks for your help Bill. I have one more question.

I just downloaded an ad blocker from firefox that works perfectly. So I don't need to get the zonealarm ad blocker working. I may just turn it off. However, if your theory that the database got corrupted is correct, does that mean that other functions of zonealarm might not be working? Is there any way I can test this?

If I follow the instructions in your first post where you said to boot in safe mode and remove the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files, am I more likely to fix something or break something? Should I just leave well enough alone, or should I go ahead and do this even though I don't need to get ad blocker working?

billc Guest

Good questions. If you want to use the Firefox blocker, then just turn off 'Ad' blocking in ZASS. It may be that only that function in Privacy is corrupt and a database reset is not needed. Just because one option does not work properly does not necessarily mean other functions are corrupt as well. You can just try it for a while with 'Ad' blocking off and see if other problems surface, like a program you granted 'access' to can no longer 'access' the internet. The database is just your settings, not your firewall. You will still be protected against intrusion attempts. What "usually" gets corrupt is your Privacy settings and not other functions.

Booting in the Safe Mode is harmless and I seriously doubt that doing so will cause you any problem at all. In fact, I can't think of a way you could break anything by simply booting in the Safe Mode. The only difference between a 'normal' boot and a Safe Mood boot is that non-essential programs do not start automatically in the Safe Mode including Zone Alarm. The reason you need to boot in the SM to delete those two files is Zone Alarm will not allow you to delete them while it is running. Here's a link to Microsoft's Safe Mode description .

tcarr101 Guest

Thanks Bill. This has been a very interesting and helpful discussion. Are you a Zone Alarm employee or just a good samaritan?

billc Guest

The latter. I'm just a volunteer, not associated with Zone Labs.

Thread Information