Thread: vsmon.exe consumes cpu

cpergiel Guest

Default vsmon.exe consumes cpu

Started this morning (9/27/06). System response was pitiful. Taskmgr shows vsmon using 99% of cpu. Cannot kill it. Google (from another machine) shows many similar complaints, no real help, though, other than restart the machine, or kill ZoneAlarm. I've been using ZoneAlarm for a year or more, and up till now it has been working fine.

ccp

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)

chasblock Guest

Default Re: vsmon.exe consumes cpu

I'm getting the same problem. All programs are hanging and taking a heck of a long time to start. Once I shut down zonealarm everything goes back to normal.

chasblock Guest

I don't know what this had to do with it. But the problems started when I downloaded and installed the demo of Company of Heros using the free Download Accelerator Plus. I restored my PC to the day before I did the download and now everything is back to normal. The demo game or Download Accelerator must have installed something on my system to screw it up.

cpergiel Guest

I removed Zone Alarm and reinstalled it and the problem has gone away. I swear it took an hour to do the removal. I never did find the disable button. I looked for it, but I didn't have the patience, being as it took over a minute for the system to respond to a single mouse click.

ccp

billc Guest

Download accelerators and Zone Alarm do not play nice together. When you want to download an application, it would be best to disable Zone Alarm. The best way to uninstall Zone Alarm is to do a 'clean' uninstall.

<fieldset>
    <legend>Clean Uninstall</legend>Go into the start menu locate the zonelabs entry and right click on the uninstaller and select properties. Now in the target box you must add a space and then /clean to the end so that it looks something like this "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe" /clean click apply and then OK. Next open ZA and turn off the load on boot option, then reboot and then run the uninstaller.This should get rid of all of ZoneAlarm. Now go to your windows temp folder and delete everything. Find the folder named Internet logs and delete it then empty your recycle bin.</fieldset>

chasblock Guest

Thanks! I think I'm just going to dump the accelerator... zonealarm is too important to me.

Thread Information