Thread: ZAP Settings Changed to "Low" or "Off" Settings for no Reason

wvman45 Guest

Default ZAP Settings Changed to "Low" or "Off" Settings for no Reason

Yesterday I was reviewing several settings within ZAP, and to my surprise discovered that many had inexplicably been changed to a "low" or "off" setting. For example, Program Control was set to "Off", Automatic Lock was set to lock when the screen saver activated (I had previously set it to lock after 10 minutes of inactivity), and Pass-lock programs were permitted to access the Internet). Under Privacy settings, NOTHING was checked for Cookies, Ads, and Mobile Code. Further, in Identity Protection, Identity Lock was off, and everything I had put in myVAULT was gone (as an aside, this is an old issue which Zone Labs really needs to resolve--it is a pain to have to reinput myVAULT data because there is no way to back it up).

Why would my settings suddenly change? I did upgrade to ZAP version 6.5.737.000 on September 7. Is it possible that this upgrade overwrote my settings? Even if it could, why would someone code that build to change to insecure settings? Further, I hardly doubt that I would have not checked my ZAP settings that long ago. Yesterday I ran scans with SpySweeper, SpyCop, Kaspersky AV, Trend Micro Anti-Spyware, SS&D, Ad-Aware, Ewido, A-Squared, IceSword, and ZAP's own anti-spyware module, as well as cleaning with Evidence Terminator, all in Safe Mode. The only finding for any of these programs was an instance of eSellerate, which was the esellerateengine DLL in Windows/System32, and I deleted it. At any rate, I will reset the ZAP database by deleting backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb in Safe Mode, and see if that helps out.

I've been using ZA since version 1.0, and it's really a hassle to have to reinput settings, as well as losing myVAULT data, all because the database gets "corrupted", and necessitating yet another reset. The Backup feature in ZAP is of no help either, because even when I have done a Restore, myVAULT data is gone.

Thoughts?

Chuck

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.5

Default Re: ZAP Settings Changed to "Low" or "Off" Settings for no Reason

Sounds like the ZAP preferences database did go really bad.

wvman45 Guest

Well, when I checked my settings after deleting backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb in Safe Mode, then rebooting into Normal, Program Control was once again reset to Off. Was this a "feature" of the latest build? Nowadays, even Microsoft understands that security settings need to be enabled by default, and this should certainly be the case for a software firewall.

Chuck

I still use 6.0.667 due to various reasons but the default should be either High or Medium for most settings.This is first time I've heard of this problem.

Thread Information