Thread: Script OK to run message on EVERY PAGE

msjongg Guest

Default Script OK to run message on EVERY PAGE

[img]file:///C:/DOCUME~1/HP_Owner/LOCALS~1/APPLIC~1/IM/Runtime/EMOTIC~1/06C3D1~1.GIF[/img]
    Recently I started receiving a message on almost every page before it finishesloading:
    Scripts are usually safe. Do you want to allow scripts to run? Yes No
    For instance, I go to my home page, MSN, and some of the page loads, then I get the message.Regardless of
    which answer I select it continues to load in bits, sometimes asking the script question

2, 3 or 4 times.
    On eBay, I do a search and the results display after the message is answered. However,EVERY time I click on a picture to look at the listing I get the scripts message AND when
    I return to the results page. So if I want to look at 4 items it's message, click, message, clickor 4 clicks for every item. awrgh
    I talked with Microsoft, thinking it was possibly my internet settings. They said the settingsare fine and that it is most likely a Zone Alarm problem.
    Can someone help trouble shoot this???

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.5

billc Guest

Default Re: Script OK to run message on EVERY PAGE

Is it a Zone Alarm alert you are seeing? There is nothing in ZA Free that should cause this behavior. If you are uncertain, right click on the ZA icon in your system tray, select 'Shutdown Zone Alarm', and then see if you still get the alerts.

Err, why is there an ad for Incredimail on your post? Intentional?

msjongg Guest

Good suggestion... I did close down Zone Alarm and no longer saw the message.As soon as I started it back up,
    the messages were back.

billc Guest

Can you post a screen shot of the alert you're seeing?

msjongg Guest

Hi,I have a screen shot but can't paste it in this message. How else can I show it to you?
    thanks!

a_m Guest

Odd that this is the only post about this problem.
    The exact message is "Scripts are usually safe. Do you want to allow scripts to run?", and is a popup issued by IE.
    I have a similar problem in IE7, but not IE6 for some reason. It happens when trying to use the Windows Update site, which I have added to my trusted sites list in IE, but for which I continue to get these annoying popups.
    I traced it to ZA's insertion of lines like:
    http://127.0.0.1:nnnn/js.cgi?pcaw&r=nnnn
    in web pages. Without 127.0.0.1 in the trusted sites list in IE, and with normal security settings, IE will prompt whether to allow this script or not.
    So, my question then is, is it safe to add 127.0.0.1 to the trusted sites list, or is there any other solution to this (short of disabling all of ZA's privacy stuff)? It seems like someone could exploit this with a rogue webpage that then has the ability to send an HTTP
    GET request to an arbitrary port on your local machine, no?

Thread Information