Product::
    Zone Alarm Security Suite Version 6.5.737.000

True Vector Security Engine 6.5.737.000

Driver Version 6.4.737.000

Anti Virus VET Engine Version 11.9.1.000 DAT version 11.9.10016.000

Anti Spyware Engine Version
    5.0.83.0 DAT File Version 200610.385

Anti Spam Engine Version 4.8.2.7565

Latest "security vulernabilities update 3 months ago (Yes, I get sick of visiting Microsoft every day)
    Internet connection: 1.5Mbit down / 896 up
    DSL
    Problem: During peak bidirectional frame transmission/reception (BitTorrent Protocol) ZoneAlarm randomly crashes one or more modules, usually "vsmon" or "Isafe".
    Firewall components can not be
    restarted while under packet load this heavy, BitTorrent transfers continue after firewall component failure, so BitTorrent
    must be "paused", ZoneAlarm Client must be exited and restarted, then BitTorrent can be "un paused"
    Problem appears only during full bandwidth
    bidirectional loads of the DSL connection. If Internet connection is only being used to email or browse this never happens.
    Questions:1.
    Does anyone else experiance this on their 1.5Mbit DSL?2.
    Doesanyone have a faster Internet connection (7Mbits down/1Mbit up DSL for example), and do you experiance problems of this type?3. Is there a known maximum frame handling limit built into ZoneAlarm? -- In other words, what is the max speed this firewall can run at?4. is there a fix?
    thnx
    urufu sends...

Operating System:Windows 2000 Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Wireless Security
    Software Version:6.5

Default Re: ZoneAlarm Fails randomly during high packet load

Best regards.
    oldsod

urufu Guest

Hmm, I have one comment and one question.
    Comment:TCP/UDP is already on or else no Internet possible except weird protocols like BGP, ICMP etc...so I don't see how this can help
    Questionoes this person do this to make BitTorrent work, or to make it work better?

Additional:I get huge amounts of memory page faults (taskmanager)
    from both Azureus (BitTorrent Client) and from the ZoneLabs client, so I increased their priorities with taskmanager to see if it either program needs more CPU time, or if there is just a bad memory leak from one or both programs that causes the crashing.
    I was hoping I was not alone --
    but if I am then
    I may just need to reload Windows as I have noticed that Windows just gets twitchy anywhere from 3-6 months after a clean install. (This applies to all versions of Windows -- and seems to be a universal constant with Microsoft Windows OS'es) -- prove me wrong --
    I dare anyone to dispute that observation,

1) BitTorrent just need TCP and does not require both TCP and UDP.

2) The person used this to make it work better, although many people will say it is to make it work.

3) You would not be the first nor the last person to say there is a memory issue with the ZA and the Bittorrent or other similiar type of software. Some say it works okay together and others say is does not work well together.

4) If it becomes a real problem, just change software firewalls.

5) Reloading Windows every 3-6 months should not be a routine maintenace procedure. Installing Windows the first time and then just normal use will last for years; no infections, not using it for a test platform for betas or various installs/uninstalls, using applications that are reputable or known not to have conflicts, regular maintenance, keeping security applications to a minimium ( less kernel drivers and less OS conflicts is the better) easy use instead of trying to overtax the OS, and finally no hardware failures will make it last a long time.

6) Some users have a dedicated PC just for P2P and various downloads. If there is an issue , they will reinstall at any time and keep prepared for just that event.

I am in Canada and here the US copyright laws do not apply- it is a very grey area concerning the courts and many users here do a lot of downloading. I have friends who literally have walls of DVDs and CDs- all homemade and very professional looking.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

urufu Guest

1) BitTorrent just need TCP and does not require both TCP and UDP.

Umm, that might be true of some BitTorrent Clients, but the Azureus client definitely uses UDP (see below)

Also if
    you use BiTorrent you may have noticed that many Torrent download sites (yes I said Torrent download not software download)
    offer http: downloads and UDP downloads (ref. www.demonoid.com
    )

Also they have built into Azureus a "decentralized tracker" that can track other peers by the HTTP, UDP, or HTTPS protocols and ports

Taken From: http://azureus.sourceforge.net/chang...ersion=2.5.0.0

2.5.0.0 - August 21, 2006

New Features:
    Core | Reduced CPU usage, especially in some unusual conditions
    Core | Explicit local subnet and peer injection option for Lan Peer Finder
    Core | Auto upload speed
    Core | DND completion handled better
    Core | Added option for per-torrent max upload speed when upload busy
    Core | Ranges allowed for port listing to ignore peers from.
    Core | Added option to move completed download on removal
    Core | Signed updates for increased security
    Core | UDP fallback on connection fail
    Core | Support for initial crypto tracker spec
    Core | Faster queued torrent startup
    Core | Option to disable tracker support for full-scrape

-----------------------urufu Snipped because of length---------------------------------

2) The person used this to make it work better, although many people will say it is to make it work.

I think those settings would also
    basically disable their entire firewall, so I'm sure it did work better

I'm curious if they are on a cable modem ISP hookup because those companies seem to like to track the MAC address of the connecting PC because it is a shared bandwidth connection (think: "Ethernet Hub" vs. "Ethernet Switch&quot

3) You would not be the first nor the last person to say there is a memory issue with the ZA and the BitTorrent or other similar type of software. Some say it works okay together and others say is does not work well together.

I'll buy that! Not only do I suspect some memory violations, I also have proved (in my own situation anyway) that there is a serious multitasking problem -- I haven't had to play with CPU time-slicing since the days of Quarterdeck s QEMM and Desq View, but if you adjust the CPU priority of both the BitTorrent Client and ZoneAlarm on my PC, my crashes went from about 4 per 24 hours down to 1 per 48 hours -- I can almost live with that, so I really think CPU task switching latency is a big part of the problem, and may even be the reason parts of memory get corrupted (symptomized by: loss of all/part of IP stack, Loss of
    file accessibility in file manager, inability to run shutdown or restart,
    etc.)

4) If it becomes a real problem, just change software firewalls.

Yup, Already thought of that, in fact I have made the proposal in one of my other posts that we could, all of us, "dump all firewall software", make one PC your Internet PC, boot it with a Knoppix
    CD-ROM (its tough to infect a read-only OS), download stuff to a "data only hard disk", then scan data hard disk's downloads
    for bugs
    "offline".

I have noticed that the solution to
    a lot of stuff in life is like that; "If you don't like it, then give up and go do something else."

Don't get me wrong, I'm not upset that you made that suggestion, I just happen to be an old avionics electronics technician, and if something didn't work I never gave up until it did work, because the pilots life depended on the integrity of my repair work
    -- so it is just hard for me to let a box full of sand get the best of me -- I don't like it when that happens -- I WANT TO FIX IT.

5) Reloading Windows every 3-6 months should not be a routine maintenance procedure. Installing Windows the first time and then just normal use will last for years; no infections, not using it for a test platform for betas or various installs/uninstalls, using applications that are reputable or known not to have conflicts, regular maintenance, keeping security applications to a minimum ( less kernel drivers and less OS conflicts is the better) easy use instead of trying to overtax the OS, and finally no hardware failures will make it last a long time.

Umm, Your first sentance in #5 I can buy -- you are correct --
    it shouldn't be that way
    , but the second sentance? Do you really believe that?

Sorry, I totally disagree with that statement. --
    I was a network admin for enough years (and have the ECNE from Novell to prove it too) to know that "Yes, reloading windows IS a routine maintenance procedure." -- are you an employee of Microsoft by chance?

6) Some users have a dedicated PC just for P2P and various downloads. If there is an issue , they will reinstall at any time and keep prepared for just that event.

I Agree: (Even though
    you just contradicted what you said in your #5)
    -- and I already conceded this concept in my response to your #4...

I am in Canada and here the US copyright laws do not apply- it is a very grey area concerning the courts and many users here do a lot of downloading. I have friends who literally have walls of DVDs and CDs- all homemade and very professional looking.

Well I am a citizen in the USA, (now days that is like admitting that you have AID's....) and I
    BiTorrent
    anyway
    because I have discovered that it is the only way for an American citizen to get the attention of the people that are currently in power here, and no I am not talking about the American Government. I am talking about the folks that have the money in my country.
    They run the show.
    My government works for the highest bidder, NOT for the constitution.

(See also: Prostitution, Enron scandal, etc...)

Think I am kidding? Well use your BitTorrent client to download "Steal this movie." It is a FREE
    documentary
    from www.thepiratebay.org

In May of 2006,
    the motion picture industry in the USA
    dictated to the American Government that they should threaten
    Sweden with economic sanctions
    because of this one website
    and the American government did exactly that.

-- It freaked Sweden s government out so bad that they raided the Piratebay website, and confiscated millions of dollars worth of computers -- even though it
    was not against the copyright
    laws in Sweden either
    . So if you think there is a safe place on this planet where &quot;big brother&quot; can't get to you, you are in for a serious &quot;rude lesson&quot; at some point in time.<ul>[*]First of all, that should never have happened!
    We &quot;Americans&quot;
    are supposed to have a constitutional government and everything
    --I mean since when do private companies tell their government to create an international incident? (Yeah I know - as per your suggestion in #4 if I don't like
    my country
    I can uninstall it and go to a different country) --unfortunately I have the same problem with that idea that I did to your suggestion in #4 -- I want to fix my country too.)[*]Secondly, the citizens of Sweden -- you know the same
    folks that stay out of all the wars?

Well they are ready to
    kick some American and
    Swedish government tail -- personally I am just glad there is still one country in the world that hasn't been completely
    emasculated.[*]And Thirdly, you really have to admire the folks running the Piratebay because they were only
    off-line for about 48-72 hours and now their &quot;servers&quot; are all over the planet. (See also: &quot;distributed computing&quot; -- like S.E.T.I.)[/list]

But I digess from the boards purpose here, and by now the moderator is probably hitting the delete key on my user account....

I think I have done enough damage this week, so I am going to use your suggestion #4, because It's Elk hunting season here in Wyoming. So I will see if I still have a user account here when I come back from hunting

&quot;Lucky for Rulers that men do not think&quot; --Adolph Hitler

Corollary: &quot;Sic Vis Pacem Para Bellum&quot;

urufu sends...

As a Canadian, I have two sets of Big Brother, not just Big Brother.

"Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them."

Immanuel Kant
    Best regards.
    oldsod

_matt_ Guest

I'm having the same problem - vsmon service keeps crashing when running uTorrent 1.6 (ZoneAlarm 6.5.737, Win XP SP2, lvllord TCPIP.SYS mod). I'm on a 8mbit/600kbit cable connection, but vsmon is crashing even when I'm nowhere near that download throughput. You said you were able to reduce the number of crashes by raising vsmon's priority. How did you do that? If I go into task manager and try to change the priority I get an &quot;access denied&quot; error message. I've tried playing around with lowering the number of connections allowed in uTorrent (total, half-open, and number of new connections per second) but haven't seen any improvement. Thanks.

Thread Information