Thread: Slow boot Windows XP SP2

cpb Guest

Default Slow boot Windows XP SP2

I just installed ZoneAlarm today. Now it takes my computer about 10 minutes to boot up (I get the wallpaper, but not desktop). Is there a way to fix this?

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.5

urufu Guest

Default Re: Slow boot Windows XP SP2

If real time virus scanning is enabled it can cause part of this, especially if you have heuristics on as well, the reason is that as windows boots it opens and closes literally 1000's of files vsmon scans every file upon first access.
    additionally ZoneAlarm has to validate itself to see if something has attacked its executables and definition files
    Also ZoneAlarm (depending on the version you have) has dozens of child process programs that must also be started before ZoneAlarm is "ready" to give you a safe environment from which to work in.
    In Windows XP there is a way to optimize the "most often used programs" on your hard disk, I haven't been on my XP machine for a while so I don't remember if this feature is automatic or if it is user initiated but even with this optimization your bootups are never going to be as fast as they were, because running ZoneAlarm is like adding a dozen programs to your startup folder
    Welcome to the world of anti-malware
    They could eleimate a LOT of these problems by moving us all to IPv6, but that would be like the Oil companies advocateing electric cars -- it ain't going to happen
    because all these anti-malware vendors wouldn't have much of a customer base overnight
    urufu sends....

cpb Guest

Thanks. After a few reboots it's speeding up a little, now it only takes 5 minutes. I'll get used to it.Clark

HMMM ZA adds dozens of programs in the StartUp Folder? Which ones? I am interested in learning about this!

Five minute startup is too slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

Possible solution is an immediate disk defrag, disk clean, disk check.

Also check the services and disable all unrequired services. These will not be activated at the windows startup and will alone increase startup speed and pc performance. Look for Black Viper list or theeldergeek.com under S for services. Also just having too many unused hardware or fluffy manuafactures addons at the startup will slow the machine. Adobe speed launcher and the Java updater are perfect examples of what is not required at startup or needs to be running full time- diito for the players and all the extras- plus google desktop or widgets and gadgets and all the toys.

Clean up the layout.ini in the Prefetch Folder of all the listing of all previously uninstalled software and dead or obselete files.

Use a file/reg cleaner such as CCleaner. Get the PC cleaned. It will be improving with just these simple suggestions.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

gigabyter Guest

<div align="left">
    <blockquote><hr>CPB wrote:
    I just installed ZoneAlarm today. Now it takes my computer about 10 minutes to boot up (I get the wallpaper, but not desktop). Is there a way to fix this?

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:

<hr></blockquote>Hello CPB. Please try uninstalling, and installing version 6.1.744.000, this will speed up your startup times, then upgrade by using the check for updates option, and upgrade to 6.5 do not use the clean install option

Thread Information