Thread: Anti-Spyware - Cannot patch spyware database

jimfire Guest

Default Anti-Spyware - Cannot patch spyware database

A couple weeks ago, I notice on my laptop with ZoneAlarm Pro V6.5.722, that whenever I turned it on, and ZAP ran and tried to update the anti-spyware database, I would get a message saying that "Anti-spyware cannot patch spyware database".
    It was consistent each time I started up the laptop.

So tonight I updated ZAP to V7.0.337.
    But this does not fix it.
    I continue to get the message that the spyware database can't be updated.
    It seems to download ok, but it can't update.
    I'd appreciate some suggestions to fix this.

Also, after the install Symantec Systemworks says that the ZoneAlarm Pro firewall is not working, although from everything I can see it is working.
    Why isn't Systemworks (actually, the Protection Center component of Systemworks) seeing ZAP and indicating everything is ok?
    Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance for the help.

JimFire

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:7.0

Default Re: Anti-Spyware - Cannot patch spyware database

Hi!see Official forum information, here: http://forums.zonealarm.com/zonelabs...p;message.id=2Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

jimfire Guest

Thank you.
    Your advice
    allowed the updates to install normally so I think that's fixed.
    However, upon reboot I got the following message:
    TRHDCPL.exe - Illegal System DLL RelocationThe system DLL user32.dll was relocated in memory.
    The application will not run properly.
    The relocation occurred because the DLL C:\WINDOWS\system32\HHCTRL.OCX occupied an address range reserved for Windows DLLs.
    The vendor supplying the DLL should be contacted for a new DLL.
    The window displaying that message was immediately followed by a ZoneAlarm alert that said:
    SUSPICIOUS BEHAVIORNetwork Driver Service is trying to remove a driver or service:
    EVENTLOG\APPLICATION\SNDSRVC
    (SNDSrvc.exe)
    This SNDSrvc.exe file is a part of the Symantec Shared files which installed with my Symantec Systemworks program.

Upon clicking ALLOW on the ZoneAlarm warning, the next ZoneAlarm message was:
    SUSPICIOUS BEHAVIORNorton AntiVirus Firewall Install Monitor is trying to remove a driver or service EVENTLOG\APPLICATION\NPFMNTOR
    (npfmntor.exe)
    This is also a part of Symantec Systemworks.
    This is all new behavior that just started with the fix of sypware updates.
    Any idea what happened here??

naivemelody Guest

I think it has to do with the Microsoft Security updates last Tuesday(4-3-07)
    and
    todays

4-10; so by tonight if you update, the problem may resolve itself. Backrgound...<hr>from PCWorld- 4-9-07 - http://www.pcworld.com/printable/art...printable.html

<hr>More Problems with Microsoft's .ani PatchMicrosoft acknowledges several new problems with the emergency patch it released last week to quash the Windows animated cursor file (ANI) bug.Gregg Keizer, ComputerworldMonday, April 09, 2007 01:00 PM PDT

Microsoft Corp. has acknowledged several new problems with the emergency patch it released last week to quash the Windows animated cursor file (ANI) bug and has updated a hotfix that it's telling some Windows XP SP2 users to download and install.

The first problem with the MS07-017 update, the series of seven patches released last Tuesday that among other things fixed the ANI flaw, was known to Microsoft before it posted the security bulletin. In fact, a hotfix to correct a flaw in the Realtek HD Audio Control Panel was published simultaneously with MS07-017. A glance at the Microsoft support forums that day and the next, however, showed that many Realtek users were unaware of the hotfix and were frustrated by the error messages they saw after installing the security update.

Last Friday, Microsoft refreshed the hotfix to include three more third-party applications that won't start and may throw up an error message that states, &quot;The system DLL user32.dll was relocated in memory. The application will not run properly.&quot;
    ...<hr>Please check out Microsoft's own bulletin - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935448/
    . -the following keynotes ...
    <hr>&quot;application_executable_name - Illegal System DLL Relocation

The system DLL user32.dll was relocated in memory. The application will not run properly. The relocation occurred because the DLL C:\Windows\System32\Hhctrl.ocx occupied an address range reserved for Windows system DLLs. The vendor supplying the DLL should be contacted for a new DLL.&quot;

<hr>After you update, restart.:8}NaiveMelody NYC 4-10-07~10:35pm e.s.t. - What's going on - Marvin Gaye

Message Edited by NaiveMelody on 04-11-200706:33 PM

jimfire Guest

Well, thank you again.
    You're right.
    I guess I updated the laptop last week, and might not have rebooted.
    That was totally unrelated to the ZoneAlarm issue which you guys solved earlier.
    I guess I shouldn't have &quot;assumed&quot; they are related.
    Anyway the MS patch fixed the last problem and I'm now good to go.
    Thanks for the help.

Thread Information