Thread: Microsoft Security Updates Won't download

agentapollo Guest

Default Microsoft Security Updates Won't download

I get the yellow shield
    to download Microsoft
    security updates, but the program will not
    not istall. I believe I started having this problem after I started using ZoneAlarm Security Suite. Is there something within ZoneAlarm that might be stopping the program to download?
    Thank you

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.0

East Coast of Florida - Lightening/Shark Bite Capital of the World

Default Re: Microsoft Security Updates Won't download

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum!

It is likely your Privacy settings causing the problem. The Privacy advisor can help resolve the issue and allow you to customise those sites for your use. You will need to go to the Privacy Panel and click on 'custom' in Cookie Control. Then go to the bottom and enable 'Show Privacy Advisor' click apply then ok.

Next go to the page in question and when the Privacy Advisor alert pops up, click on "Click here for details'' and it should take you to the Site List box where you will see the entry causing the problem. The name of the entry can be found in the "Entry Detail" box at the bottom of the page. Now click on 'options' and turn off the ones that interfer with the page. You may have to try several and then refresh the page until the issue is resolved. Also clean your cache when completed.

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=35224

PLEASE keep me posted on your results, Thanks.

SlyFox
    "Politeness costs nothing and gains everything".

Click here for ZA Support

Avail. 24x7 - Excl. Holiday

Check to see if the BITS service is running. BITS is required for Windows Update.

Click Start/Run and type services.msc in the box. Click OK. In the window that opens, scroll down to Background Intelligent Transfer Service and check its status.

agentapollo Guest

Slyfox,
    I did what you suggested, and the program still would not download. After I did what you suggested I also went to the microsoft website, and this time was able to have that website check for updates which it would not do after loading ZA. The update is ready for upload, and when I try to upload the window shows that the program is initializing, but then it puts a message up the following program will not down load. I also check what Fereop suggested, and the back ground intelligence is set at manual.
    This may be a problem other than ZA, but I will welcome any suggestions.
    Thanks,
    AgentApollo

mzpaskins Guest

Hello,Did you ever get your updates to download? I have had the same problem for a month or so.
    Thanks, MZP

agentapollo Guest

No I have not been able to get the security update to download. I even went to the Microsoft website, and tried from there and still the same. The website then sent me to another section informing that I could clink on the security update that would not download and it would give suggestions on how to solve the problem. I tried to follow the link, but nothing happened, the same window remained.
    If you find any solutions please pass it along.
    Thank you,
    AgentApollo

dreeme Guest

This is what worked for me. In IE make sure you DO NOT have the popup blocker turned ON (Tools> Popup Blocker). Close IE. Open ZASS, check to see if the following have been added to Privacy> Site List:

www.microsoft.com
    windowsupdate.microsoft.com
    v5windowsupdate.microsoft.com
    update.microsoft.com
    download.windowsupdate.com

If they are not there, add them. For each site do the following: click Options> Mobile Code> uncheck Block embedded objects (Java, ActiveX) and uncheck Block mime-type integrated objects. On the Ad Blocking tab uncheck all three boxes. Clean your cache. Try Windows Update again.

If it still does not work try adding the same sites to IE> Tools> Internet Options> Security> Trusted> Sites. Close your browser, clean the cache in ZASS, try updates again.

agentapollo Guest

I tried your solution, but it did not work. One of the sites, v5windowsupdate.microsoft.com, would not enter into the ZASS sites. Zone Alarm window poped up and informed that it could not locate the site. I also entered all the sites on IE, and still was unable to download the security update. After clicking on the yellow security shield to download, the window pops-up showing the download is initializing. Then a new line appears showing that the initializing is complete. After a short time, and no bars on the progress window, the window message changes to dowload unable to be downloaded. No other options are given. I have sent a message to Microsoft, and I will wait to find out what they say about the issue.
    Thanks for the help. Any other suggestions please send along.
    Thanks,
    Agent Apollo

Try turning off the privacy settings in ZA, turn the program control down to medium and then try again. If you still have a problem, we need the exact message that the windows update screen gives you.
    My homes are SpywareHammer.com and DonHoover.net and BleepingComputer.com

Consumer Security - 2011 & 2012

Tilting at windmills hurts you more than the windmills.
    -From the Notebooks of Lazarus Long
    Senior of the Howard Families

Thread Information