Thread: Was ZA worth it?

basing Guest

Default Was ZA worth it?

... I'm beginning to think otherwise.
    Having read favorable reviews on ZA Internet Security Suite, I loaded
    v6.5 just over a week ago onto my PC previously running XP Pro SP2 and Symantec (Norton) AV. Not had any problems in 3 years but was getting sensitive to increased dodgy net activity and wanted some added protection. I wish I hadn't ...........
    Having spent hours trying to figure out why certain pages on eBay simply wouldn't load with cookie control or ad blocking enabled (tried everything suggested in this user forum that I could find, including deleting databases, resetting etc.), I received a response from ZA tech. support telling me that having tried all the things I had,
    "some pages simply won't load and you need to turn cookie control and ad blocking off whilst viewing them". Great.
    A week or so later, and my PC is significantly slower with ZA installed than it was previously, Outlook Express takes forever to send emails, I get hangs & crashes which were unheard of on my box in the 3 years prior to ZA, multiple generic win32 errors, my taskbar turns itself from blue XP to grey windows classic on a whim, but worst of all, Windows automatic updates no longer works. I get the icon telling me updates are available, click to install, I click and the icon disappears but no updates installing. I could go on as there are other examples, but you get the point. What a nightmare.
    Thought I'd ask here if anyone else experienced such a plethora of issues, and whether they were easily fixed, before I uninstall the lot, go back to Symantec and ask Zone Labs for a refund !

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.5

billc Guest

Default Re: Was ZA worth it?

There are a couple of things that may be causing your problems. First, if you run NAV, then you should disable the ZASS antivirus program. It is not good to run two AV programs at the same time.

If you are using a newer version of NAV, then you should turn off the Worm Protection function in NAV. It is a partial firewall of sorts and once again, you should not be running duel firewalls.

The note you got from tech support is correct about some sites not working if any Main Privacy blocking is enabled. But I don't believe eBay is one of those sites. What you should try is go to your ZASS > Privacy > Site List, click on the 'add' button, enter www.ebay.com then click 'ok'. Now locate the site you just entered on the Site List, right click on it and select 'options'. Next go through all three tabs to uncheck everything and click 'apply' as you go through each tab. Now clean your browser cache and try the site again.

I think your problems are likely coming from conflicts between ZASS & NAV when they both are trying to do the same thing. Or, you need to adjust some settings to fine tune your firewall. Most problems with pages can be solved the same way I suggested with eBay.

If you want to use NAV, what I might do is switch to Zone Alarm Pro from ZASS. Zone Alarm is still the best firewall.

basing Guest

Thanks Bill - it was your recommendations on previous posts that I'd already tried.
    I uninstalled NAV before loading ZA so there are no conflicts.I've already tried everything else in your post.
    Where next ?

billc Guest

Are you referring to the eBay problem? If so, test to make sure it is ZASS causing the problem by going to your Privacy > Main panel then turn off all Privacy blocking. Now can you use eBay? If not, clean your browser cache and try again. If you can use eBay now but couldn't when you followed the 'customization' steps by adding it to your Site List as outlined, then I think your ZASS database may be corrupt causing ZASS not to recognize your permissions. It has been my experience that eBay can be customized.

The next step is to reset your database which will fix any corruption. Reset the database this way; you will lose your customizations and will need to reconfigure Zone Alarm.

1. Boot your computer into the Safe Mode. {Instructions if needed}
    2. Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder.
    3. Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files in the folder.
    4.Reboot into the normal mode.

Now again 'customize' the eBay site as I suggested in my first post.

basing Guest

Thanks again Bill,
    I'd picked up your suggestions from a previous thread and tried them. Tried again just to be sure, but same result.The eBay problem is highly specific as far as I can see - when you are entering the descriptive text in preparation for making a sale in the My eBay, Sell section, then save it as a draft, when you go back to it you cannot see the text. Turn of all cookie handling and ad blocking and you can then see it. Repeatable after following your detailed instructions (twice now).
    This problem I can live with, my greater concern is over the more systemic issues; The slowdown in performance of what is a relatively high spec. machine; The inability to install Windows updates without fully exiting ZA (and therefore by necessity disconnecting from the internet whilst the installs take place); The appearance of hangs & win32 error messages where none existed before; The fact I can't turn my XP Pro firewall on even when fully exited from ZA.
    As things currently stand my PC is
    much more of a pain to work with than it was before ZA was installed.I'm sorry, I'm rambling - stick to the point in a post !
    If I can find a solution to the Windows update problem that would be a good start ! Any suggestions ?

billc Guest

If you check for Windows update manually, then do the same thing you do for eBay...turn off all your Main Privacy blocking before you go to the update page and of course use IE. As the response you got from Zone Labs stated, some sites just will not work if any Main Privacy blocking is on even if the page has been customized to 'allow' everything. You see even though everything is unblocked, ZASS still puts the JavaScript insertion in the page if any main Privacy is on. On some sites, this JavaScript just interferes with the functionality of the script on that page. Other than turning Privacy blocking off, I know of no solution.

For what it's worth, I leave my Privacy off all the time except when I'm doing some testing. Ads and Cookies are benign as far as I'm concerned. And I don't go to a 'dangerous' site without turning on Mobile Code control. Thing is, I just don't go to those type sites.

You know what I'd try if I were you? Uninstall ZASS and then try Zone Alarm Pro or even Zone Alarm Free. I think the newest NAV with ZASS is just too much data handling causing the problems you've mentioned without giving you additional protection. I this either Zone Alarm Pro or Zone Alarm Free would be better in your case. If you want to try, first uninstall ZASS this way. Go into the start menu locate the zonelabs entry and right click on the uninstaller and select properties. Now in the target box you must add a space and then /clean to the end so that it looks something like this "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe" /clean click apply and then OK. Next open ZA and turn off the load on boot option, then reboot and then run the uninstaller.This should get rid of all of ZoneAlarm. Now go to your windows temp folder and delete everything. Find the folder named Internet logs and delete it then empty your recycle bin.

You will not lose your license and can reinstall ZASS if you wish.

basing Guest

Thanks Bill

Thread Information