Thread: using dyndns

simcon_computer Guest

Default using dyndns

how often does zonealarm recheck dynamic dns entries to see if they have changed

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.5

socalreviews Guest

Default Re: using dyndns

I am not sure about if or how ZA deals with it but it seems to me that dynamic DNS would be best handled by a NAT router that supports that feature.

Message Edited by SoCalReviews on 10-18-2006 09:27 PM

simcon_computer Guest

thanks for your reply. zonealarm provides a manual lookup button against the dyndns entry but that's no good if the hostcomputer is unattended

socalreviews Guest

Your welcome simcon_computer! A manual lookup button definitely doesn't do you any good if the address changes when you are away from the host machine. I wish I had more ZA related information for you on this topic and I don't know if the ZA licensed products have any more support for DynDNS. I have never used DynDNS myself but have read quite allot about it. I just know that many popular brands of routers have built in support for DynDNS and that would be what I would use to get it to work properly. I wish you the best with your networking and please post back in this forum with anything on this or any other topic that you think would be of value to other users of this forum.

Message Edited by SoCalReviews on 10-18-2006 10:48 PM

simcon_computer Guest

thanks but the dyndns support in routers just sets up the username.dyndns.xxx dns entry on the internet. the same as dyndns updater software. that wouldn't help regarding zonealaram. what I need is for zonealarm to continuously poll the dyndns address say every minute and automatically update its internal table if the address has changed.
    regards,
    Neil

socalreviews Guest

<blockquote><hr>simcon_computer wrote:
    thanks but the dyndns support in routers just sets up the username.dyndns.xxx dns entry on the internet. the same as dyndns updater software. that wouldn't help regarding zonealaram. what I need is for zonealarm to continuously poll the dyndns address say every minute and automatically update its internal table if the address has changed.
    regards,
    Neil
    <hr></blockquote>

I don't think you need the software firewall to poll for the address since this is what a router with dynamic DNS support is supposed to do. It is my understanding that people can use dynamic DNS with the Windows XP firewall and other firewalls without having any special requirement that the software firewall polls for the dynamic DNS address but instead the DDNS featured router handles all those WAN side operations. Make sure you have your LAN side IP addresses (your computer, router, etc.) configured in the ZA firewall's Trusted Zone. One of the routers to look at for dynamic DNS support are the inexpensive Linksys WRT54G or the Linux firmware based WRT54GL. If you use a router for this operation it shouldn't be difficult to set up and only requires that you enable the feature and enter the required settings for your dynamic DNS service. For your information I just copied and pasted this from my Linskys router help page regarding using its simple dynamic DNS setup.

DDNS options (disable,DynDNS.org,TZO.com)

DDNS Service: DDNS allows you to access your network using domain names instead of IP addresses. The service manages changing IP address and updates your domain information
    dynamically. You must sign up for service through TZO.com or DynDNS.org.

DynDNS.org: You must sign up for an account with DynDNS.org before you can use this service.

User Name: Enter the user name from DynDNS.org

Password: Enter the password from DynDNS.org

Host Name: Enter your host name. This should be in the format of name.dyndns.org.

Internet IP Address: Your current IP address.

TZO.com, You must sign up with TZO.com before you can use this service.

User Name: Enter the email address you used to register with TZO.com

Password:Enter your TZO.com password.

Host Name Enter your TZO.com domain name.

Internet IP Address: Your current IP address.

Message Edited by SoCalReviews on 10-19-2006 11:44 AM

Thread Information