Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ZA SS not counting intrusions

wayne_d Guest

Default ZA SS not counting intrusions

I recently bought ZA SS after using ZA Free for years ... I dumped Windows Defender since it *never found anything ... zero ... and I started using right after MS took it over from whoever it was.
    I also dumped Spyware Doctor since it had gotten to completely swamping my CPU at start-up and any time something changed (which was often).
    My problem/question about ZA SS is:
    It's still reading 0 Intrusions, and 0 High rated intrusions and Inbound Protection hasn't changed from 130,745 that was a carry-over from ZA Free ... even though I've ran Shields Up twice.
    It should have added about 2,160 intrusions for that alone ... ZA Free did.
    Sooo ... why isn't ZA SS counting anything????

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:7.0

Default Re: ZA SS not counting intrusions

Are you using broadband? Most broadband modems have a built-in firewall so it's blocking a lot of intrusions out before ZA deals with them.

wayne_d Guest

Yes, I do have broadband, but Shields Up pings used to register with the inbound intrusions ... now they don't.

Has anything changed with your ADSL modem firewall? or Has your ISP done any upgrades to reduce intrusions?

Its your router that is responding to the pings, not your PC. For more info on what you're experiencing, see this post and follow the link in it. Hopefully you won't be so worried.

http://forums.zonealarm.com/zonelabs...ssage.id=16879

wayne_d Guest

I don't actually have a router ... do you mean modem?

wayne_d Guest

To be honest, I hadn't paid too much attention to the ZA Free program since I had gotten used to it doing such a good job ... so I'm not sure what happened with it after I added the Vonage device between the modem and pc a while ago.
    But the 130,745 "intrusions" were counted by ZA Free and used to register all the Shields Up pings.
    Try out Shields Up at http://www.grc.com/default.htm
    and see what you get ... scroll down and click on the "All Ports".

How does your modem connect to your PC? USB or network cable?

If its USB, you are right you don't have a router. If its via a network cable, the router might be built into the modem. To find out, open a command prompt window (click Start/Run) then type cmd into the box then click OK. In the window that opens, type the following command:-

ipconfig /all

Look for the entry that says IP address. If it is something begining with 192.168. or 10.0. (eg 192.168.0.1 or 10.0.0.1) then your modem is also a NAT enabled router and your PC is invisible to the Internet. It is your router that is responding to the pings, if not, its your PC.

wayne_d Guest

It is, indeed, 192.168 ... so it's the modem rejecting the pings?
    Thanks

Your welcome. That still doesn't explain why you were getting detections before but not now.

Now we know you have a router, do you have other computers connected to it besides yours? If so, they are on your LAN and ZA will report connection attempts by them when using TCP/IP (FTP, http, Telnet etc) but not when using Windows shares (like mounting disks and printers).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information