Thread: Zonealarm and "slowing down the computer"

tadorian Guest

Default Zonealarm and "slowing down the computer"

I guess I did not find something that specifically address this issue doing my search, but please feel free to point me in the right direction if I missed something.I've been using Zonealarm Pro for a couple of years and never had any issues with Zonealarm until now.My problem is this:I bought a new computer (high end,
    x6800, WD Raptors in raid 0,
    etc) and for whatever reason Zonealarm seems to be slowing down executing programs. In other words, it takes about 10-15 sec to start up a program (for example firefox, IE or any other program, does not seem to matter if it needs access to internet)
    when I have zonealarm running, but 1-2 sec when its not. Took me some time to figure out which application was the problem. This has not been an
    issue for me before on any of my other computers.
    Another finding is that when I do a clean install of Zonealarm the problem
    seem to
    go away for a bit only to return.
    I guess this is just annoying - not really a "showstopper".
    However any insight to this issue would be greatly appriciated.
    Thanks,Tad

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.5

mjthomaspa Guest

Default Re: Zonealarm and "slowing down the computer"

I've been having a similar problem. My computer (both desk and laptops) became terribly slow when I updated my McAfee viruscan when prompted by them. I found that ZL's vsmon and zlclient were taking up 90+ % of my resources with my CPU usage pegging 100% virtually all the time.
    This happened on each computer right after the McAfee update. Coincidence?
    Now, if I want to do more than play Spades I need to turn off the ZL firewall.
    Suggestions?

What other security software do you run apart from ZA? It's not the hardware - I'm jealous ... that is a fast pc.

tadorian Guest

Hi,Thx for the response.I'm using AVG free edition + I'm also running Acronis.-Tad

See what happens you disable AVG - it might be fighting with ZA.

dearboy Guest

are you another viictim of the dreaded vsmon part of Zone Alarm? worth checking your task manager to see who is using up all your CPU. Good luck, dearboy

dearboy Guest

Hello there, yes I have had the same problem, surely ZA should come up with a suitable answer? My problem started following an upgrade of ZA. They seem to have let loose areally greddy little process.
    Lets hope someone au afait with matters programming will come up with an answer. good luck

Thread Information