Thread: ZoneAlarm Reducing Connection Speed

nonumbers Guest

Default ZoneAlarm Reducing Connection Speed

Has anyone else noticed their connection speed being reduced when the ZA firewall is turned on? I was using toast.net's speedtest and noticed that when I turned the firewall off, my connection speed nearly doubled. I have been able to repeat this several times, on different days. Are there any settings that I could check?

Currently Running:
    ZoneAlarm Pro version:6.5.737.000
    TrueVector version:6.5.737.000
    Driver version:6.5.737.000
    Anti-spyware engine version:5.0.83.0
    Anti-spyware signature DAT file version:01.200610.425

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.5

billc Guest

Default Re: ZoneAlarm Reducing Connection Speed

You should expect a slow down when Zone Alarm Pro is running because it examines every packet coming in or going out of your computer. What I could suggest is that you make sure you don't have one than one application trying to do the same thing. Specifically, you should not have a popup blocker and Zone Alarm Pro Privacy popup blocking turned on. Use one or the other. In fact, if you turned off your Privacy blocking, you should gain some speed back. Or alternatively, turn off blocking in your browser or other security applications.

If you have an AV program with 'worm protection', turn it off....Zone Alarm will do the job.

Try not to have applications opened you're not using. The more programs running, the harder Zone Alarm Pro has to work to watch them all for nefarious behavior. So the less you have Zone Alarm doing the better.

Make sure your DNS & DHCP server IP's are in the Trusted zone and that Generic Host Process For Win32 Services has 'access' to both zones and 'server' rights to the Trusted zone. Generally, the more you want your security software to watch and block, the slower your speed will be.

Thread Information