Thread: vsmon

dearboy Guest

Default vsmon

I am having a considerable problem with Zone Alarm
    vsmon, it appears to use enormous amounts of my CPU to such a degree that it all "hangs" has anyone found an answer to this.
    I can but notice that I am not alone<
    This only appears to have happened following an upgrade.
    I would welcome any suggestions how to control this greedy little blighter
    frankly its a pain in the backside. I am certain that if someone has an answer they will hasve undying gratitude of many users. Dearboy

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.5

billc Guest

Default Re: vsmon

Sometimes an upgrade doesn't go well and the fresh install gets corrupt resulting in the behavior you described. If you've not made any other changes like adding new software, then I'd suggest you do a 'clean' uninstall of your firewall followed by a fresh download and install. Here's how.

<fieldset>
    <legend>Clean Uninstall</legend>Go into the start menu locate the zonelabs entry and right click on the uninstaller and select properties. Now in the target box you must add a space and then /clean to the end so that it looks something like this "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe" /clean click apply and then OK. Next open ZA and turn off the load on boot option, then reboot and then run the uninstaller.This should get rid of all of ZoneAlarm. Now go to your windows temp folder and delete everything. Find the folder named Internet logs and delete it then empty your recycle bin.</fieldset>

hubsy Guest

I too wish that this problem was resolved.
    uploading large files causes vsmon.exe to expand in size and its cpu usage to increase to such a point that the computer slows to a crawl and the upload to drop to a few Kb/s.ONLY way I've found around it is to shut down ZASuite and restart ZAS whilst the file is uploading. VSmon then resets and runs at &lt; 02% cpu.Not a lot of use when your trying to upload 7 * 100Meg files.
    Never had this problem with ZAPro, only since I installed ZASuite.
    Feels like I've wasted my money in upgrading to ZASuite.Might as well go back to ZAPRO and SpySweeper for AV.
    tried install as 'clean' and in 'safe mode' and 'selective startup mode' ALL give the same results.
    I've tried giving the uploader program super trust level in the program control menu. Tried switching off everything I can find.
    don't like the idea of having to leave by a/v and firewall off just so I can upload some files.

jwaf Guest

Your response says &quot;Next open ZA and turn off the load on boot option, then reboot and then run the uninstaller&quot;.
    Where do I turn off the load on boot option?
    I don't see it in the GUI interface.
    Am I missing something?
    Thanks, Jim

Hi!ZA Overview ---&gt; Preferences --. UNcheck 'Load ZA... at startup"Cheers,Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

fcweed Guest

Fax:

I took your and BillC's advice and did a clean install, still no joy. I'm using the free version, because all I need is a firewall. I'm guessing that ZA is doing a virus check on all executables every time one is invoked, and would not report a problem if one was detected. I say this because (1) The installation asks if I want to try the suite vs. just the firewall, thus a single executable apparently is used, (2) The list of programs includes ones I know don't do network access because I wrote them, (3) The list includes others that work just fine with the network cable unplugged or with LAN disabled via Zone Alarm or Windows, (4) Task manager reports vsmon is still taking 30-50% CPU time when running batch programs with network access disable per the above.

One of the things I regularly do is a batch build of a library that invokes a C compiler 2774 times. With ZA off and network disabled via Windows, build time is ~20 minutes. With ZA loaded, close to an hour... Any command line parameter or registry hack to enable just the firewall?

Thanks!

hubsy Guest

The latest version of ZA Security Suite does not have the vsmon problem on my computer.
    just won't let windows shutdown, unless I close ZA before shutting down.
    But
    NO VSMON problem.

Thread Information