Thread: ZonAlarm appears in Task bar as if minimised but it is spurious - a nuisance thought not serious

onclejean Guest

Default ZonAlarm appears in Task bar as if minimised but it is spurious - a nuisance thought not serious

From time to time Zone alarm is both an icon in the systray and minimised in the Task Bar. It does not seem to do any harm but it is no use - I cannot restore ZA from it. I can only get rid of it by closing ZA and restarting it with wWindows Explorer.
    Is there a way to prvent the spurious appearance or remove it more quickly? Could it be related to the dual dispaly card configuration?
    System Summary:-Computer:Computer Type

ACPI Multiprocessor PCOperating System

Microsoft Windows XP ProfessionalOS Service Pack

Service Pack 2 Internet Explorer

6.0.2900.2180 (IE 6.0 SP2)
    DirectX

4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)Motherboard: CPU Type

DualCore AMD Athlon 64 FX-62, 2800 MHz (14 x 200)Motherboard Name

Asus Crosshair (3 PCI, 1 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x4, 2 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR2 DIMM, Audio, Dual Gigabit LAN, IEEE-1394)Motherboard Chipset

nVIDIA nForce 590 SLI, AMD HammerSystem Memory

3328 MB (DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM)BIOS Type

Award (06/30/06)
    Display: Video Adapter

NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GX2 (512 MB)Video Adapter

NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GX2 (512 MB)3D Accelerator

nVIDIA GeForce 7950 GX2Monitor

Samsung SyncMaster 244T (Digital) [24" LCD] (H1AK500000)
    Multimedia: Audio Adapter

Analog Devices AD1988B @ nVIDIA nForce 590 SLI (MCP55PXE) - High Definition Audio Controller

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.5

urufu Guest

Default Re: ZonAlarm appears in Task bar as if minimised but it is spurious - a nuisance thought not serious

It might just be the spyware and or virus scanner auto-update program running long enough (minimized on the task bar) to verify that you have the latest definition files.
    I Have also seen this if a scheduled spyware/virus scan is occouring
    see it you can catch it on the task bar and maximize it to see what it is "doing" or trying to do...
    If youve already check all this then disregard -- I always go for the obvious stuff first, because I like to mess with myself in that regard...

onclejean Guest

Default Re: ZonAlarm appears in Task bar as if minimised but it is spurious - a nuisance thought not serious

Thanks but when this icon appears in the Taskbar as well as the systray it does not respond to any mouse clicks.

kkaze Guest

I'm having a similar experience with ZA free 6.5.737.000 in Admin. mode (XP pro sp2)- user mode not affected. The control Center will not close, instead generating a partial new window. I can only minimize to the taskbar. Odd that this only happens on an Admin. account.

Were your installations upgrades? I have had that problem in the past, but a clean install fixed the problem.
    My homes are SpywareHammer.com and DonHoover.net and BleepingComputer.com

Consumer Security - 2011 & 2012

Tilting at windmills hurts you more than the windmills.
    -From the Notebooks of Lazarus Long
    Senior of the Howard Families

kkaze Guest

No, I'm using the basic, free version. I've since un-installed/re-installed, but to no avail. Oddly, this only occurs in Admin mode- the user accts are unaffected.

wyzzardusa Guest

I, too, have had this happen sporadically, ZA sitting in the Taskbar as though something were open, but cannot get "Restore" or "Close" to do a thing to it.
    No idea WHY this occurs, but I HAVE found a workaround for it, that gets rid of it without rebooting Windows.
    Open Task Manager, Processes tab, and "End Process" on explorer.exe ... this is your GUI shell, the Taskbar disappears. Now simply click FILE in Task Manager, select "New Task(Run)", and type in explorer.exe. Your shell comes back, without the annoying ZA button showing.

Thread Information