Thread: ZoneAlarm Pro 6.5.737.000 and BitDefender AntiVirus 10.0

jaywiener Guest

Default ZoneAlarm Pro 6.5.737.000 and BitDefender AntiVirus 10.0

I have seen a post that suggests that the ZoneAlarm Pro FireWall is negated/conflicted by BitDefender AntiVirus 10.0:

http://www.tech-forums.net/showthrea...hreadid=124549

Is this true?
    I run ZoneAlarm Pro and like it a lot
    - do not wish to negate it but I would like to install BitDefender.

Windows XP Pro (SP1, will reinstall with SP2 near future)

Present AntiVirus:
    Norton 2005 (BitDefender or Kaspersky after re-install)

FireWall: ZoneAlarm Pro as above

Any replies, especially from someone running BitDefender AV
    and ZoneAlarm Pro Firewall (or someone who has tried and knows it to be conflicted), appreciated!

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.5

Default Re: ZoneAlarm Pro 6.5.737.000 and BitDefender AntiVirus 10.0

That post in that forum is incorrect. The Bitdefender antivirus (without any included firewall, just the plain antivirus version) will operate with the ZA Pro just fine.

Please note the ZA antivirus monitor only recognizes Norton, McAfee, TrendMicro and Computer Associates antiviruses that are installed on the PC. When it does not recognize the Bitdender, it does not mean there is anything wrong- everything is okay. Just disable the antivirus monitor in the Zone Alarm- it is not needed and does save some PC resources at the same time.

When installing apply the Remember and OK and Yes to all ZA popups concerning the BitDefnder. You could even disable the ZA and uncheck the "Load ZA Pro at startup" in the Prefernces of the OverView to prevent any conflicts with the installation of the antivirus. After the reboot for the install of the new a/v, just restart the ZA Pro.

After be sure to disable the E-mail protection of the ZA Pro and just use the mail checker of the Bitdefender itself.

Also even before installing the Bitdefender, please uninstall the old antivirus and BE SURE TO USE THE PROPER REMOVAL TOOLS FOR THIS OLD ANTIVIRUS BEFORE TRYING THE NEW ANTIVIRUS INSTALL!! VERY IMPORTANT!!!!!

Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 10-30-2006 07:44 PM

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:5.x
    Best regards.
    oldsod

jaywiener Guest

Many thanks!! I intend to re-install my OS from the beginning, and install BitDefender as well as re-install ZoneAlarm Pro, so the old anti-virus should not be an issue.
    I shall save your instructions so as to make ZoneAlarm and BitDefender work and play well together, for sure.

Thanks for your prompt reply.

You are welcome.

BTW just check out the BitDefender site for conflicting software with their antivirus. I know the Zone Alarm is safe, but there a few security applications that are not recommended to be used with the BitDefender.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

jaywiener Guest

Absolutely correct - at your suggestion I checked with BitDefender and they say that while they are compatible with firewalls, spyware-watchers can have conflicts.I think I will try to use other spyware watchers in a passive sense, i.e. not active but used to sweep my machine periodically to look for spyware, rootkits, etc.
    Probably have to bring BitDefender down while doing so.
    Thanks once again for your timely advice!

Thread Information