Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: thanks moderator for the info - but...

dr_del Guest

Default thanks moderator for the info - but...

Hi,
    Firstly
    I would like to thank you for the clarification message regarding the recent auto-upgrade - official notification is a very good thing in these matters It helps to maintain the level of trust required in a security application.
    Now for the question - how can I circumvent it? I understand the reasoning behind it but ,while
    I would like to be notified updates are available when
    I do a manual update check ( the only kind
    I ever do), I would still rather be the one that decides what and when gets updated with my security software. I realise this may seem somewhat paranoid but thats the kind of people who recommend firewalls to all their friends
    There used to be a list of what servers zonealarm tries to talk to that could be added to the hosts file - is there a current list? This is however a very poor solution as it prevents legitimate traffic requested by the user.
    Is there some way I can request a feature that puts the control back in the hands of the user while keeping him (or her)
    informed?
    And while we're at it ,who's idea was the "allow all" setting on the game mode?!?!?! has to be the least secure idea I have ever heard in a firewall app. Now if I'm missing something about that please let me know.

dr del

Message Edited by dr_del on 10-28-200611:15 PM

noeticone Guest

Default Re: thanks moderator for the info - but...

Check out http://www.HostsFile.info/

There is everything you're EVER wanted to know about Hosts Files, free Hosts File utilities, and links to all regularly up-dated Hosts Files on the net!

cm2.zonelabs.com assists in the functioning of various services including the AlertAdvisor, antivirus updates, and
    antivirus monitoring.

hs2.zonelabs.com helps your client keep its services up to date.

ls2.zonelabs.com manages information relating to program configuration.

pa2.zonelabs.com manages the Program Advisor functionality.

ps2.zonelabs.com helps with updates to services and client functionality.

update.zonelabs.com supports the "Check for Update" functionality.

register.zonelabs.com handles product registration.

These could be used for your question about the servers that is used by Zone Alarm.

Take care, Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

dr_del Guest

Thank you Oldsod,
    That could indeed help taming zoney using the hosts file.I would still prefer to be able to hit manual update and be presented with an option window instead of
    updates being automatically installed.I Just like to be in charge of my own security really, it means there is never any confusion over who is to blame in the event of a breach - it was me.Since they already pop and small window in 6.5 I can't see it being a major hardship to
    list available updates with a checkbox next to them to allow de-selection.
    For the less technologically-intrested among the user base this should be irrelevant as long as they were auto-selected and they only had to either wait 60 seconds or (my choice) hit an "I agree" button. Zonealarm would be just as easy to use but the people who prefered to tinker with the options would once again be in full control of every program on their computers.
    It always rankles me that zonealarm no longer shows a graphical representation of its own traffic - it used to then all of a sudden
    I could sit and watch the network lights flashing and zoney pretended nothing was happening. Cant help thinking that was a bad descision as I can no longer grant the firewall the same degree of trust as I know
    I have it set never to contact or check automatically but I am also fully aware that it still does.
    This would also be a potential weakspot for an attack vector from within the machine as if zoney thought the traffic was coming from its own program it would let it out without hinderance despite program settings and not even show the user anything was happening on his desktop.
    If anyone could set my mind at rest on the latter point I would be obliged to them.

dr del

Hi dr_del

The ZA is a solid software. The traffic that happens between the ZA firewall and the update servers and visa versa are encrpyted and protected. No other traffic would be allowed, so the chance of a spoof is not possible. So all is very secure and very safe. Rest assured.

If you concernced about processes and network traffic, try:

TCPViewer and TDIMon from sysinternals.com Both are Freeware and quite handy tools. Also check out the freeware version of the Process Explorer.

OR

Microsoft.com has the Port Reporter. The Parser addon is adviseable to use- allows logging. If I recall there is another addon for the Port Reporter. All are freeware.

OR

There is a recommended payware- the Port Explorer from
    diamondcs.com.au I have heard very good things about this software.

There is porbably more of this type of tools or softwares, but these ones are the ones that I know of and are well known to be safe and reliable.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

ad_hock Guest

Hi Oldsod
    Just to tell you that I have Port Explorer installed in all my computers and in my opinion,although paid,it's the most awsome port to process mapper I ever ran.
    Take care and all the best
    AD

Thanks Guru Ad-Hock, Best regards and have a great week!

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

I also use Port Explorer, nice program. By the way AD have you installed the latest version?

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=151562

Take care friends

ad_hock Guest

Hi GrebNo, not yet, I'm usingversion 2.000 and thanks for posting the link. I'll probably try installing in one computer and see how it goes and than decide for the others.I'm very much like you, not rushing to update and wait and see paying attention to the forums,although I must recognize that with DiamondCS software I never had reasons to complain.Take care friendAD

Me either , I'm using 2.1 which works fine so I really see no reason to update at the moment.

Take care AD old friend,
    Greb

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information