Thread: unable to view e-mail in msn with ZoneAlarm Pro

lucymay Guest

Default unable to view e-mail in msn with ZoneAlarm Pro

Since updating to the newest version I cannot view e-mail or search the web (e-mail says message could not be displayed) (Most web pages say The page cannot be displayed)(some items on web search are OK). I have contacted MSN & they have had me reset my e-mail (no good, they say my hotmail will not work) I have e-mailed Zonealarm tech support & have turned off all privacy settings (no good). Someone from ZoneAlarm was suppose to call me but they never did. I am very frustrated. The only thing that works is to turn off ZoneAlarm. I have ZoneAlarm (newest version), Norton anti-virus (when I turn off Zonealarm it disables Norton also. I also have Webroot Spy Sweeper (I have tried turning that off also (no good). If you can't help me I need to uninstall Zonealarm. I have 1 year left on my subscription & hate to fork out for another program. Hope you can help. I need exact instructions, I am a computer beginner.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.5

Default Re: unable to view e-mail in msn with ZoneAlarm Pro

Sounds like the databse has become corrupted. To remove this database and start completely fresh, try this procedure:

Boot your computer into the Safe Mode

Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder

Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files in the folder

Clean the Recycle Bin

Reboot into the normal mode

ZA will be just like new with no previous settings or data

Maybe this works.

Best regards.

lucymay Guest

Thanks Oldsod for your reply. Sorry it didn't solve the problem.When I tried to log into hotmail this is the message that came up. The firewall has blocked access to computer NetBios session from (TCP Port 3933) TCP flags:S) Next try was simular with
    slightly different numbers.
    does this mean anything to you?

Output from ARIN WHOIS
    ARIN Home Page ARIN Site Map ARIN WHOIS Help Tutorial on Querying ARIN's WHOIS
    Search for :

Search results for:

OrgName: Level 3 Communications, Inc.
    OrgID: LVLT
    Address: 1025 Eldorado Blvd.
    City: Broomfield
    StateProv: CO
    PostalCode: 80021

NetRange: -
    NetName: LVLT-ORG-4-8
    NetHandle: NET-4-0-0-0-1
    NetType: Direct Allocation
    NameServer: NS1.LEVEL3.NET
    NameServer: NS2.LEVEL3.NET
    Updated: 2004-06-04

OrgAbuseHandle: APL8-ARIN
    OrgAbuseName: Abuse POC LVLT
    OrgAbusePhone: +1-877-453-8353

OrgTechHandle: ARINC4-ARIN
    OrgTechName: ARIN Contact
    OrgTechPhone: +1-800-436-8489

OrgTechHandle: TPL1-ARIN
    OrgTechName: Tech POC LVLT
    OrgTechPhone: +1-877-453-8353

# ARIN WHOIS database, last updated 2006-11-05 19:10
    # Enter ? for additional hints on searching ARIN's WHOIS database.

If contact information is out of date or incorrect, please contact Include all relevant information in your e-mail and ARIN will investigate the matter.

The Privacy is off and the other secuity applications are off. This good to know- it reduces my guesses.
    The above site seems to be okay, by the way.

Is there a server involved? Such as at the college or business server?

Has the ipconfig /all been done in the command and the DNS servers and DHCP servers been entered into the Zones of the Firewall of the Zone Alarm as Trusted?

Does the Generic Host Process or the svchost.exe have access to the Trusted and Internet and have server rights for the Trusted Zone.

The email client has Trusted and Internet access and email rights in the Program listing?

Have any expert rules been applied? A very good and detailed site for this is from our Guru Hoov's site at

Is there a router or NAT enabled modem involved?

is the slider for the Trusted Security Zone set at medium?

Message Edited by Oldsod on 11-06-2006 12:27 PM
    Best regards.

lucymay Guest

I'm not sure if this is suppose to mean anything to me? or if you are working on my problem? I can't read my e-mail or search the web for most searches. If I go into internet explorer, internet search is better sometimes. If no one can help me please let me know how to uninstall ZoneAlarm Pro. Thanks
    Lucy May

I see now.

You wanted Zone Labs Technical Support and not the Zone Alarm user's forum- here we are just Zone Alarm users and no one here is an employee. However, as you are a paying Zone Alarm user, you are entitled to the Technical Support.

Technical Support ...

Take care and I hope they can help you.
    Best regards.

lucymay Guest

Sorry, I tried tech support. FORGET THEM. I have very limited knowledge of computers & did not know what all the numbers etc mean in the previous listing. I am trying to get help anywhere I can. I can't read any of my e-mails & can hardly access the internet with zonealarm on. I guess I have no choice but to
    uninstall zonealarm. Thanks for your help

Thread Information