Thread: My computer crashed 2 times. Windows firewall turned off.

raamraj Guest

Default My computer crashed 2 times. Windows firewall turned off.

Hi,My computer crashed 2 times.I use Zonelabs Security Suite since
    3 weeks. The first 2 weeks everything was OK.The first crash happened directly after a Zonelabs update had taken place.The second time after a Zonelabs spyware scan.My Windows firewall is turned off.Windows report sent to Microsoft. They couldn't give a reason for the crashes.My computer never crashed before.Please let me know what to do.Thanks.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.5

Default Re: My computer crashed 2 times. Windows firewall turned off.

Hi

MS is of little help. You just helped them to fix or issue new patches. To help you, please do the following:

1) Report this to Zone Labs>

http://www.nohold.net/noHoldCust25/P...bsodcrash.html

2) Give all of the information that was shown in the BSOD. And post it here so we can help you.

3) Open the Event Viewer in the Administrative Tools and every white X in red circle just list the event ID that is shown in the properties of the right click of that item. And post that here as well. Also include the Source.

4) Give us some idea of what was installed before the ZASS was installed and what is running at the same time that the ZASS is runnimng and what is running when the PC is started and when these crashes happen.

Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 11-19-2006 01:25 AM

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:5.x
    Best regards.
    oldsod

raamraj Guest

Hi Oldsod,Thank you for your help.It might be that the crashes had nothing to do with ZoneAlarm.Yesterday another crash happpened, during an automatic
    Windows Update.It might be caused by a new audiocard's driver Delta 2496, which I now have temporarily uninstalled to see whether the crashes continue.I also have a new memory card in my computer since a week or two, about which I actually would like to ask you something.I wanted to upgrade my memory from 256mb to 512Mb. The man in the shop didn't have an extra 256 mb and sold me an extra 512mb instead, so now my computer has 704mb memory instead of 216mb. Would that maybe give a strain on my computer, resulting in these crashes? My computer has an Intel Celeron CPU of 2.7Ghz, Windows XP SP2.

DDR SDRAM DIMMs must be installed in matched pairs. "Matched" in this context means that the two DIMMs have the same capacity and speed. A valid pair would be two 512 MB PC2700 DIMMs, for example.

However, not always the case and I have used a 512 and a 256 successfully together. I think it has something to do with the memory controller. Older machines usually get away with uneven memory.

Depending on the type of machine, the BIOS may say something about this or allow for both uneven cards to be set properly or just use the BIOS to see if the total RAM is being recognized. Usually the shop people know their stuff and sell the right product.

You could do a mem test to make sure (freeware)>

http://hcidesign.com/memtest/

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information