Thread: Does anyone elses computer with zone alarm cause the start-up to be really slow?

llain Guest

Default Does anyone elses computer with zone alarm cause the start-up to be really slow?

Specifically on the welcome screen. If I unchecked the option to load at start-up it's fine, but i read you're supposed to keep it checked. Is this slowness normal, I'd be worried it's a problem with my pc and zone alarm.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.5

tim_t Guest

Default Re: Does anyone elses computer with zone alarm cause the start-up to be really slow?

What are your pc's specs, processor speed etc? Also, what programs do you have running at startup in addition to ZoneAlarm? Both can affect the bootup time. But anything under one minute is perfectly normal. I use the full ZA Security Suite version and with my 2.2ghz dual-core pc bootup time is just over a minute. There's a tool called BOOTVIS which might help, but it DOES NOT speed up the bootime, it just gives you a graphical representation of the files being loaded during bootup, which may help you see which files are slowing it down the most.

BOOTVIS links: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=664

Also, try going into MSCONFIG (Start menu>Run>type "msconfig" in the box), and go to the Startup tab. Using trial and error, deselect each file listed in turn, rebooting each time, and see if there is an improvement in bootup time. It might not be ZA causing it.

gigabyter Guest

Default Re: Does anyone elses computer with zone alarm cause the start-up to be really slow?

This happened to me, what I did was to uninstall 6.5 and install an earlier version 6.1, and my compouter boot time was normal again, then I upgraded by using the check for updates button in the Overview/Preferences Tab, and downloaded the update,and chose full install rather than upgrade, and it worked like a dream, my computer is as fast as ever on bootups

aps Guest

ZAP causes my computer to load very slowly. It gets to the desktop and it takes roughly 3 minutes for the ICONS to appear. I have the latest version-6.5, and I did a clean install. I have done all the troubleshooting that I can, including using msconfig. I have not found an answer after months of trying.

llain Guest

<blockquote><hr>Gigabyter wrote:
    This happened to me, what I did was to uninstall 6.5 and install an earlier version 6.1, and my compouter boot time was normal again, then I upgraded by using the check for updates button in the Overview/Preferences Tab, and downloaded the update,and chose full install rather than upgrade, and it worked like a dream, my computer is as fast as ever on bootups
    <hr></blockquote>

Thanks. Can anyone give me a link and maybe specific instructions. I'm still not sure if it's an actual problem, my computer's working ok, it just stays at the welcome screen for about 30 seconds or something. In response to the other posters, I'm pretty sure it's zone alarm, the speed is fine without it running at start-up.

llain Guest

<blockquote><hr>llain wrote:

<blockquote><hr>Gigabyter wrote:
    <hr></blockquote>

Thanks. Can anyone give me a link and maybe specific instructions. I'm still not sure if it's an actual problem, my computer's working ok, it just stays at the welcome screen for about 30 seconds or something. In response to the other posters, I'm pretty sure it's zone alarm, the speed is fine without it running at start-up.
    <hr></blockquote>

I've downloaded the last 6.1 version. When updating, are you sure I should choose full install, rather than upgrade. It says the opposite here:

http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/b...ssage.id=43240

gigabyter Guest

Yes I'm sure you should clean install, as it tells you when you install the upgrade that you can choose to upgrade if you want to keep your settings, or use clean install which reduces the chance of a problem installing. Actually I tried both, but reconfiguring your settings I found is no big deal

Thread Information