Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No display in ZAP control center

flyinghost Guest

Default No display in ZAP control center

I have just installed ZAP onto my new notebook computer. Everything seems to be working ok except for 1 thing. When I open the Zone Alarm Control Center, the window opens and I can see the icons at the top of the page (internet in-out, stop, lock, and running programs). However, the rest of the window is blank. None of the menu on the left side is showing, nor can I get to any of the settings to change them. All I get is a white screen. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the program twice and I still can t get anything to display in the ZAP control center window. Anybody have any ideas. I m running version 6.5.737.000

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.5

billc Guest

Default Re: No display in ZAP control center

Try uninstalling once again but do it this way. Go into the start menu locate the zonelabs entry and right click on the uninstaller and select properties. Now in the target box you must add a space and then /clean to the end so that it looks something like this "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe" /clean click apply and then OK. Next open ZA and turn off the load on boot option, then reboot and then run the uninstaller.This should get rid of all of ZoneAlarm. Now go to your windows temp folder and delete everything. Find the folder named Internet logs and delete it then empty your recycle bin.

Now download and install a fresh copy of Zone Alarm and see if that fixes it.

flyinghost Guest

Bill, thanks for the reply. I tried what you suggested, but I m still having the same problem. Everything seems to be working, I just can t see or change anything. When I open the control center I can see everything down to the line just below the help icon. Everything from there down is blank until you get to the hide text icon at the bottom. There is also no menu on the left side of the window. When the window is maximized, I don't see anything that I don't see when the window is minimized. Any other ideas?

billc Guest

Hmm. I've never seen a case like the one you've described in my almost 4 years on this forum. The 'clean' uninstall follow by a fresh install does the trick. The only thing I can imagine is a corruption some where along the way the 'clean' uninstall is not "cleaning". Did you ever see the control panel? Is this probably coming from an upgrade or is this the first time you installed on your laptop?

flyinghost Guest

I used Laplink PCmover to move all of my files and setting to the new computer. I guess it is possible that PCmover may have left some of the ZA settings behind. But, I don't understand why the clean uninstall and reinstall doesn't replace them if that is so. I have never seen the control panel displayed on the new computer. After noticing that the control panel wasn't there, I uninstalled and reinstalled several times before posting for help. I'll try to do another clean uninstall and reinstall when I get home tonight just to see if I get different results.

billc Guest

If that does not work, then try a manual uninstall as suggested on the Zone Labs help site . There may be remnants the 'clean' uninstall is not getting. My guess is it got corrupt when using Laplink PCmover.

flyinghost Guest

Well, I ve done 4 manual clean uninstalls and reinstalls and still have the same problem. The last time I did the manual clean uninstall and deleted all of the left over files as per the instructions, I went 1 step further and deleted all references to Zone Alarm in the registry.

I rebooted and searched for any of the ZA files and found none. Rebooted again, and downloaded a new copy of zapSetup_65_737_000.en.exe. Ran the install program, entered my license and started the program.

Again, I can see everything from the help icon up. There is nothing between the help icon and the bottom border where it says hide text in the left hand corner. I ll use the Overview window for example. There is none, nor are there any Status , Product Info , or Preferences tabs at the top of the window. There also is no menu down the left side of the window. Left or right clicking anywhere in the area does no good either.

As I said earlier, the program itself seems to be working. I m getting all of my warnings and request for network permissions (don t make a mistake because you can t change it as the Programs window is also in the void.)

Is there a way to post a screen shot show you can see what I m trying to describe?

I don t know what else to try.

Do you have a problem with any other programs GUI?
    My homes are SpywareHammer.com and DonHoover.net and BleepingComputer.com

Consumer Security - 2011 & 2012

Tilting at windmills hurts you more than the windmills.
    -From the Notebooks of Lazarus Long
    Senior of the Howard Families

flyinghost Guest

ZA is the only program that I am having trouble with. I have also noticed that when I click on the hide text button there is a vertical line that moves to the left. When I click on the show text button, the line moves about an inch to the right.

I think I know what the problem is. I know this is going to sound stupid and ridiculous, but try updating your video drivers, and if there are no updates, try reinstalling them.
    My homes are SpywareHammer.com and DonHoover.net and BleepingComputer.com

Consumer Security - 2011 & 2012

Tilting at windmills hurts you more than the windmills.
    -From the Notebooks of Lazarus Long
    Senior of the Howard Families

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information