Thread: Computer Stand-by Not Working

foomanchoo Guest

Default Computer Stand-by Not Working

Ever since installing ZoneAlarm, the stand-by mode for my computer no longer works. The screen saver comes on like normal but I had my computer set to go on stand-by after 20 minutes of inactivity. Now, the stand-by won't activate unless I manually do it.

I've tried changing the time from 20 to 5 minutes just hoping the small tweek would wake up the computer but it didn't. What to do? Thanks.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.5

Default Re: Computer Stand-by Not Working

There are several things to look at.

First, are the DNS and DHCP servers listed as Trusted in the Zones of the Firewall of the Zone Alarm? Is the localhost listed as Trusted? Does the Generic Host Process (svchost.exe) have server rights for the Trusted Zone?

Second is the screensaver listed with three green bars in the Program listing?

Does the harddrive actually turn off in the time that has passed? The harddrive turned off can affect the ZA to be off or cause freezing.

Are there any components with server rights for the Internet Zone? Disallow these as well.

Is this a phone or cable internet connection? Does the windows try to keep the connection alive or keep calling the provider on the phone line?

Lastly, the Zone Alarm database may have become corrupted. To remove this bad database and start a new clean database, please do this>

Boot your computer into the Safe Mode

Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder

Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files in the folder

Clean the disk using the Windows disk clean utility or just empty the Recycle
    Bin

Reboot into the normal mode

The database has been removed and the ZA will now begin to create a new database.
    It will appear as when it was first installed and there was no database yet created.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

foomanchoo Guest

Default Re: Computer Stand-by Not Working

Thank you. There was one program with server rights that I think was the cause. It worked. Thanks again.

Thread Information