Thread: Weird problem

simcha Guest

Default Weird problem

I am trying to download my internet provider's security suite.
    It won't
    allow me do it because it says ZoneAlarm is already on my computer.
    If it is, it was installed by someone else in my house.
    There are no icons to access, no listing in the programs or add or delete programs.
    I have no idea what is there but until i find it and
    it is removed I cannot download the new software.
    If anyone has any suggestions, I would really appreciate a speedy reply since I removed my anti-virus hoping that I would be able to replace it quickly....Thanks in advance, Simcha

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.5

billc Guest

Default Re: Weird problem

Open your Windows Task Manager and look for vsmon.exe ...is it there? If it isn't, Zone Alarm is not running on your computer.

simcha Guest

Thanks Bill,
    I don't see it there so I'm still left wondering why the new security system is telling me it's there.
    Could part of it still be on the computer even if it is no longer running the program?
    JoyOmaha, Nebraska

billc Guest

Yes, old files could be left behind but that should not prevent a new installation. Try this. Download and save to your computer your new Security Suite. Then boot your computer into the Safe Mode and see if you can install it in the Safe Mode.

If you want to do a search for any old Zone Alarm files, here's what you want to look for...Type the following exactly - delete files found in \Windows or any subfolder below it, in your \Temp folder, or in the Windows "Pre-Fetch" folder):

vsconfig.xml
    vsdata.dll
    vsdata95.vxd
    vsdatant.sys
    vsmon.*
    vsmonapi.dll
    vsnetutils.dll
    vspubapi.dll
    zaplus.*
    zapro.*
    zllictbl.dat
    zlparser.dll
    zonealarm.exe
    zoneband.dll

Note: vsutil.dll (please right-click, Properties -> Version to be sure it is a ZA file. Do NOT delete this file unless it is a Zone Labs file!). Also if you received an error message upon deleting the files, or if the original programs remain in the Programs list, or if the problem persists after this, removing the files in Safe Mode will allow you to delete the files properly

simcha Guest

Bill,
    Thanks again,
    I'll work on it tomorrow and let you know what happens.
    I really appreciate your help.Joy

simcha Guest

Bill,
    It's been a long day but your list helped.
    I found 4 matches and deleted them and found two more that were not on your list.
    I only managed to get this one to add to your list:
    vsutil.dll

HOWEVER, the security suite was still finding a Zone Alarm anti-virus trail and would not let me download the one on the suite.
    I talked to a tech and was told I could not "save" the program and then install it in safe mode because there is no "saving" it..which I found to be true.
    So I opted to download an entirely different virus product recommended by the tech at Cox.
    Again, I really appreciate your help.
    I found the ones you listed easily (or not at all--depending on which ones were present).
    Now, I deserve a rest.
    Take care, Joy

Thread Information