Thread: ZoneAlarm Anti-virus and command line use?

stroye Guest

Default ZoneAlarm Anti-virus and command line use?

Hi
    I'm still new to ZoneAlarm and used to use Norton's AntiVirus before switching to ZoneAlarm's AntiAirus scanner.Previously (with NAV) I used to be able use a command line in a batch file to initiate a scan on a particular file.
    I just wondered if I can use a command line to do the same thing with ZoneAlarm's AV scan.
    For example, the command line previously used with NAV, is as follows:

"C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\navw32.exe" "C:\Temp\FileToBeScanned" /b-
    I know I can right click a file in Windows Explorer and ZoneAlarm's Anti Virus scan is an option, but in this particular case,I still want to be able to automate the process from the command line...if possible.
    Does anyone know if ZoneAlarm's Anti Virus will support command line use? If so, what ZA executable file
    should I use to do this?
    Thanks for your help.

Operating System:
    Windows 2000 Pro
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:

Message Edited by Stroye on 11-25-200604:34 PM

stroye Guest

Default Re: ZoneAlarm Anti-virus and command line use?

For the benefit of any user that could be asking if ZoneAlarm
    Security Suite
    supports
    command line use, and particularly where ZA Anti-virus is concerned,
    I am now replying to my own question.
    Answer: Yes, ZoneAlarm does indeed support command line usage.
    The ZA executable file required for a virus scan is multiscan.exe.
    Usage: "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\multiscan.exe" "C:\Temp\FileToBeScanned.xxx"
    This works perfectly and can be used in a batch or script file to automate the scanning of a particular file.

I apologise if
    I am repeating anything that has already been said in any other thread, but I just thought I would provide a specific and practical answer, after trying it
    myself, in case anyone else
    wishes to do the same thing.

bastinado Guest

any way to get it do do an entire path recursively? I tried /s and /r with no results.

stroye Guest

I would like to be proved wrong, but sadly I don t think any switches are supported. I don t think command line use was really considered by Zonelabs, as multiple file examination was primarily intended for use within the confines of the AV Scan operation (within the application). For this reason, and that the AV scan was intended to scan whole hard drives in one go, I don t think there would be any way to get multiscan.exe to start at a particular directory and scan subdirectories by external command line instruction. I think that a fixed path to a file or files within the directory (specified on that path) is about the limit. Please let me know if you find different to this.

Thread Information