Thread: svchost.exe and 100% cpu usage> One of Microsoft's May 2007 patches had a problem.

Hybrid View

purple Guest

Default svchost.exe and 100% cpu usage> One of Microsoft's May 2007 patches had a problem.

I have v 6.5.737.
    1. In the last few days I have been tracking slow program reaction times
      since installing ZA some weeks ago. From observations, svchost.exe in Sytems is the culprit.
      This problem manifests itself soon after I connect to the i/net but without attempting to use a utility.
      CPU usage reaches 100% for more than 2.5 minutes.
      Any attempt to use Excel or Outlook during this time is met with half drawn dialogs or very slow reactions to key presses.
    2. I have seen the advice re mailSafe and Anti- Virus mail checker being on at the same time but I am not sure this has anything to do with the problem as it arises before attempting to access mail from Outlook.
      And from my newbies' understanding, that affects vsmon (???)
      -

and that seems to be ok in terms of non persistent cpu usage.
      In any case the advice is incomplete in how should ZA should be configured - which should be disabled in the event of an issue, MailSafe or anti-Virus mail check?

I would be grateful if anyone can throw some light on these 2
    issues
    please?

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.5

Default Re: svchost.exe and 100% cpu usage

Hi!really difficult to say who is the culprit here. Just few thinks to check:1. Add you DNS and DHCP Servers to the firewall trusted zone (how to know your DNS/DHCP: http://www.donhoover.net/dnsdhcp.html);2. Ensure that loopback adatpter (127.0.0.0) is the trusted zone3. Ensure that svchost.exe (Generic host process...) has internet and server right to the trusted zone.
    Do you see any improvement? If you disable everything under privacy tab, doyou see any improvement?You always had this problem or just after installing6.5.737? Was it an upgrade or a clean install?What areyour settings for Excel and Outlook in program control? What version of outlook and excel are you using?Please post back.Fax

Message Edited by fax on 12-18-2006 03:44 AM

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

purple Guest

Hi faxThanks for your interest so soon.
    Yes, I agree, it is difficult to trace the cause precisely.
    Looks as though I have some things to check first before I can give you the results, however:The issue has only arisen since installing the following new stuff.

About 6 weeks ago I installed a new WD MyBook 250g Pro HD, Acronis True Image 9.0, MS Office Std SP2 and ZA.
    So there is a lot going on.
    ZA was a new install.
    I will investigate the settings you advise and report back.
    Thanks

chamath Guest

Hey, my computer have also suffered from 100% CPU usage. It has been occured because of SVCHOST.exe. This has occured at every start up when I am connected to the internet. Then The computer stucked for about 5 minutes and were very very slow!

When slows, "Windows Update" icon can be seen in the Task Bar.

Then I fully deactivated the Microsoft Windows Update, and I cannot even beleive, it has been fixed!

Message Edited by chamath on 12-18-200603:46 AM

Hi,at every start-up (or almost every) wuauclt.exe (automatic update) will connect to 'mother ship'. The same applys forWgaTray.exe (Windows Genuine Advantage Notification).They should have super trusted level into program control and access to internet and trusted zone. In Windows, Background Intelligent Transfer and Automatic Update Service should be set to automatic (and started).This are the default settings, of course, if youlike, you can disable everything...Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

purple Guest

Hi FaxI am slowly working through your questions.
    So far I have :
    ensured that Loopback adapter was in the Trusted Zoneadded my 2 DNS Server addresses.
    But running ipconfig/all showed that Dhcp was not enabled.
    Is that of significance?
    in Program Control I can see no reference to svchost.exe and do not know how to give that any privelges in the Trusted Zone.

Noting the last poster, I do have Auto Updates set to automatic and running.

purple

harisv Guest

Hi,
    I read this thread as i set out to find why my newly installed ZA Security Suite 6.5.737 (with all default options) doesnot like uploads into my yahoo briefcase.
    The CPU suffers more than 80% usage for a single file upload while it invariably freezes other running windows tasks hogging the processor with 100% usage for 2 files or more.

Here are some of my findings -
    vsmon.exe - highest CPU Usage >95%

Settings -
    MS loopback adapter (127.0.0.1) set to Trusted Zone

Config -
    Intel Centrino 1.7GHz with 1GB RAM
    ZA Security Suite 6.5.737
    Mozilla Firefox 1.5.0.9

Pls let me know if there are any cures to this.

thanks
    Hari.

Thread Information