Thread: Cannot connect

ggagne Guest

Default Cannot connect

On powering up, computer will not connect to Internet unless I pull the network connector and plug in again.
    Else if I disable Zone Alarm Pro, computer will connect. Once connected to network, I re-enable Zone Alarm and it stays connected. This is not acceptable as my computer is vulnerable for a short time. I have added the DHCP server IP address to the trusted zone in Firewall/Zones and problem still exists.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.5

billc Guest

Default Re: Cannot connect

Do you also have your DNS IP in the Trusted zone? That's really what is needed to look up IP's for URL's. The DHCP server will keep you connected.

critterjoe Guest

In addition to Guru Bill C's suggestion to place both the DNS and DHCP servers IP numbers in your firewall's trusted zone (unless they are the same number, of course), have you checked your permissions for "Generic Host" (svchost.exe) in ZA's Program Control list? Many people will need the following settings for "Generic Host" from left to right: 3 green bars in "trust level", checkmarks for trusted access, internet access, and trusted server: and either a ? or Red X in "internet server" and "send mail"; i.e., do not grant any permission in the last 2 columns. Good luck.

Message Edited by Critterjoe on 12-19-200604:15 PM

Software Version:6.1

ggagne Guest

I put both DNS server IPs in the Firewall /Zones in addition to the DHCP IP. The "Generic Host" file svchost.exe was already in the Program Control list with your recommended settings. I hope this clears up the problem.
    Thank You

ggagne Guest

The connect problem is still there on boot-up. If I click on the Network icon in the Control Panel and disable the Network connection followed immediately by re-enabling it, Internet access is restored.
    A service technician from my Internet provider, Clearwire, completely checked out my system today and found nothing wrong with the equipment. Any more suggestions?

billc Guest

When you rebooted, where your DNS and DHCP IP's still in the Trusted zone? I'm thinking your settings may be forgotten by Zone Alarm upon reboot. Which leads me to suggest you reset your Zone Alarm database. Reset the database this way; you will lose your customizations and will need to reconfigure Zone Alarm.

1. Boot your computer into the Safe Mode. {Instructions if needed}
    2. Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder.
    3. Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files in the folder.
    4.Reboot into the normal mode.

ggagne Guest

I booted into Safe Mode and deleted backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb then rebooted into standard mode.
    Still cannot connect unless I go to Control Panel and disable Network Connection followed immediately by re-enable.
    The two deleted files are still there (size 3,239,936 bytes) along with hundreds of .tmp and .txt files. Are these really necessary?
    I don't know how to do it but can a script file be executed at Startup ahead of Zone Alarm that disables and re-enables the Network Connection? This is essentially how I manually get the computer to connect.
    This connection problem is fairly recent and may be related to a Zone Alarm update as no other software has been loaded.
    My virus software is AVAST 4.7 Home Edition which also frequently updates.

critterjoe Guest

<blockquote><hr>ggagne wrote:
    I booted into Safe Mode and deleted backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb then rebooted into standard mode.
    Still cannot connect unless I go to Control Panel and disable Network Connection followed immediately by re-enable.
    The two deleted files are still there (size 3,239,936 bytes) along with hundreds of .tmp and .txt files. Are these really necessary?
    I don't know how to do it but can a script file be executed at Startup ahead of Zone Alarm that disables and re-enables the Network Connection? This is essentially how I manually get the computer to connect.
    This connection problem is fairly recent and may be related to a Zone Alarm update as no other software has been loaded.
    My virus software is AVAST 4.7 Home Edition which also frequently updates.<hr></blockquote>

Do you use a router, and are you the only PC on your network, and what browser do you use?

After you delete iamdb.rdb and backup.rdb, ZA will create new instances of those files on your next bootup which should be a much smaller size in their re-initialized form. If I recall correctly somewhere between 1-2 MB. They grow in size daily with ZA use. I reset mine several weeks ago, and they currently are about 2.8 MB. The size will vary from person to person, since it depends on how many programs one is running, how many hours a day one is using ZA and the internet, and a lot of factors. The important thing to note is that once you do the reset the new versions of iamdb.rdb and backup.rdb should be much smaller. You will know if your reset worked because you have to reconfigure everything in ZA's program control list, security settings, etc., and your program list will be shorter. ZA will have to re-identify your network connection and place it in the proper zone that you want, and you'll have to add the DNS, DHCP IP numbers back into the trusted zone, etc. Also note, that when you do this reset, it does not add the loopback adapter (127.0.0.1) back into the trusted zone automatically. You have to put the loopback adapter back in manually, so be sure you've done that.

As for the other files in the windows/internet logs folder. The temporary .tmp files can be deleted from time to time, as can many of the ZA log files when they are no longer needed. You may want to keep a few of the log files in case you have a malware incident and want to look at the logs from a few days ago to see if you can figure out what happened.

You say you have to disable and then re-enable the network connection. That implies to me, if I understand correctly, that your network DOES connect initially but that you can't use it. Do you get the proper icon that shows it to be connected? And then when you try to launch a browser is that when you cannot connect? Or do you get the network icon with a Red X through it saying it's disconnected?

You don't need to go to Control Panel to disable/re-enable your network. Right-click on the network icon in your systray and choose &quot;disable&quot; (assuming you are using an administrative account). If you don't have a network icon in your systray, I can tell you how to put it there:

Go to Control Panel&gt;Network Connections&gt;Right-click on your network and choose &quot;Properties&quot;. At the bottom of the box be sure there are 2 checkmarks: &quot;Show icon in notification area when connected&quot; and &quot;Notify me when this connection has limited or no connectivity.&quot;

Message Edited by Critterjoe on 12-20-200609:23 PM

Software Version:6.1

ggagne Guest

I'm back at my computer after the holidays and after implementing all the earlier recommendations. Computer won't connect to network unless I click on the network Icon and disable followed by enable. Browser then connects to Internet. On a hunch, I pulled the network cable and uninstalled Zone Alarm Pro and re-installed the version downloaded on 12/29/2005: ZapSetup_61_737_000_en.exe. I then re-enterred the DNS and DHCP Server IP addresses in the Firewall&gt;Zones tab. Zone is set to &quot;trusted&quot;. Next, I plugged in the network cable and rebooted. Netscape 7.2 browser now connects to Internet. ZA now does a spyware scan. To check my hunch, I reboot computer to see if it connects to network. It does not. Again, I disable the network connection and re-enable and now it connects to Internet.
    This is clear evidence that recent ZA upgrades are affecting my network connection.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition
    ZA Product: Pro Version 6.5.737.000
    Anti-spy Version: 5.0.83.0
    Browser: Netscape 7.2
    Network Adapter: Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller
    Driver: bcm4sbxp.sys 5/23/2003.
    Network: Clearwire via wireless modem, no router used

Thread Information