Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PC toasted with BSOD -- Bad_Pool_Caller

nowtakethis Guest

Default PC toasted with BSOD -- Bad_Pool_Caller

I am trying to rescue a friend's PC to no avail.
    He installed ZA Pro 6 on his wife working pc.
    After the reboot, he got the BSOD with the Bad_Pool_Caller message.
    Subsequent reboot to Safe Mode also got the same dreaded Blue Screen.
    Since I cannot boot the pc up at all, there appears to be no way to either do a Restore Point restore or any kind of uninstall.
    This is very bad to say it mildly!

I used the pcdoctor program to do some checking by booting to the CD.
    At one of the checks, it said the HAL.DLL is corrupted.
    I have no idea whether that is the sole reason or the real culprit that it failed to boot up.
    But at this point, we have a dead pc with all the stuff you would expect on a typical
    working pc and without much of the backup.
    Does any one have any bright idea on
    how I can fix this, short of running the Restore Disks that vendors nowadays supply to the owners in lieu of the actuall OS and apps?
    Desparately looking for a solution!

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.5

Default Re: PC toasted with BSOD -- Bad_Pool_Caller

Try repairing the Windows. Do not use the Recovery disk or the pcdoctor. Use a pure and straight Windows XP OS disk. Borrow one, any one will do as long as it is a normal Windows OS with no drivers or added software.

Then try this>

Try repairing the Windows XP installation. To do so:
    1. Turn off any antivirus program and BIOS-level antivirus protection. For help, see the appropriate software manual or online Help.
    2. Make sure that the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive is the first priority startup device in your computer's BIOS settings. See your computer's documentation for information about how to do this.
    3. Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM in the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive, and then restart your computer.
    4. When the "Press any key to boot from CD" prompt appears, press a key so that your computer starts from the Windows XP CD-ROM.
    5. When the computer starts from the CD-ROM, your hardware is checked, and then you are prompted to select an option. Press ENTER.
    6. Press F8 to accept the Licensing Agreement.
    7. Your current Windows XP installation is listed, and then you are prompted to select an option. Press R to start the automatic repair process. After Windows XP is repaired, you may have to reactivate Windows XP if you changed some hardware.

Now try Safe Mode and it should be working sufficent to uninstall the Zone Alarm. While here make sure there is only one software firewall and only one antivirus on the PC. If the previous security was infact removed before the ZA install, there is a strong possibility that there are still driver files and keys remaining.

Try using the Last Known Good Configuration feature in the Safe Mode menu after the checking in the Safe Mode.

Bad Pool Caller or C2 caused by bad kernel driver

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=265879&sd=RMVP

http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;Q314492

Debug tools can be searched from here>

http://www.microsoft.com/library/err...k/default.mspx

Bad kernel driver also includes the hardware drivers. These should all be updated and the BIOS as well. Older outdated hardware drivers could be the issue.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

hal.dll missing or corrupt can be many things, but the Repair should fix it. Anything from boot.ini corruption to it actually missing from a bad software install.

It may be neccessary to disable the HDD in the BIOS or change the boot selection from the HDD to the CD ROM and then follow with Windows OS media disk/

New driver or updated drivers should be available from the manuafacture's site. Try support.pcmaker.com/ or google driver download+ pcmaker or BIOS download + pcmaker. This should get you to a download site for the updated drivers.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

socalreviews Guest

I have never seen or heard of that hal.dll corruption error related to installing a ZA product on a Windows XP based computer.

Here is a MS link related to the hardware extraction layer DLL or hal.dll :

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309283

Message Edited by SoCalReviews on 12-19-2006 08:02 PM

nowtakethis Guest

Thank you Oldsod VERY
    MUCH
    for your suggestions.
    I'll give that a try.

nowtakethis Guest

Thanks for the link, SoCalReviews.
    I'll look into it.

socalreviews Guest

You are welcome NowTakeThis and if you can't find another solution from the MS site you might want to just try Guru Oldsod's solution. Just be aware that you could have had some type of conflict from another security program or other software installed on your system before you tried to install ZoneAlarm. The BSOD and error could also be the result of other conflicts with your system. Check to see if your computer's motherboard is using an on board ethernet controller with a built in firewall. Some newer NVidia based motherboards use such ethernet controllers that can conflict with advanced software firewalls and you might need to disable that hardware controller based firewall (not the entire controller just the optional firewall component) or its supporting drivers in order to run an advanced software firewall such as ZoneAlarm.

There is a way to debug Windows software and driver conflicts using Windows safe mode line by line boot method but if you have never used that procedure I would recommend the help of a computer tech who has done this before. The easier debug procedure to try would be to disable the Windows system configuration utility startup items (under the msconfig Startup tab) in Windows safe mode and then enable the items one by one to narrow down a possible startup entry that is causing the conflict. Since you are a ZAP subscription based product user you could also submit a report and description of the installation error to ZoneLab's official technical support team.

Message Edited by SoCalReviews on 12-20-2006 02:23 AM

"I have never seen or heard of that hal.dll corruption error related to installing a ZA product on a Windows XP based computer."

Actually I meant install and the uninstall. The uninstalls actually causing the problem. I agree with you, I never heard of the ZA install causing a hal.dll problem either. This problem was probably there before the Zone Alarm install.

Thanks SoCalReviews

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

zaswing Guest

If I may stick my five cents, In addition to everything suggested above, and based only on a lifetime experience of one event, I'd be putting my money on bad RAM. Oldsod helped in my long and sad story of vsmon page faults, HAL error, kernel error, missing driver, bad pool caller errors, access memory that can't be written, etc.
    Unzip, then burn memtest86-v1.65 ISO file to a CD (on any computer), boot from it, run the test for several hours. I've seen thousands in the first few minutes. There should be none, zero, not even one allowed.
    Download site: http://www.memtest.org/
    Instructions site: http://www.memtest86.com/
    Some vsmon troubles, bad CRC in a BIG winzip file (2 gig), bad checksum in image backup by Acronis, might be diagnostics of bad memory because they're all pretty memory intensive applications and need good hardware to behave.

nowtakethis Guest

Thank you guys for all the good suggestions.
    I am quite impressed with all the quick and good responses!
    NowTakeThis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information