Thread: Generic Host Win32 Question

jpchris Guest

Default Generic Host Win32 Question

Hi,

I'm running WXP Pro and installed SP2. Now, in the Program Control window, there's a dot in front of "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services".

I know this means the program is running, however, the ZAP Icon in the systray keeps changing showing "traffic".

I would like to know what to do to stop it from flashing traffic all the time. It's more annoying than anything else; especially when I'm trying to read something and in my peripheral vision I see it flashing. Very distracting.

By the by, on my other computer I only have SP1 installed and it doesn't do this.

Ideas? Fixes?

Thanks,
    Chris

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.5

Default Re: Generic Host Win32 Question

Open up ZA go to alerts and logs>main>advanced>system tray alert > remove the check mark next to enable system tray alert>click ok

jpchris Guest

Hi Greb49er,

Thanks for getting back to me. I did as you said and there's no checkmark next to Enable System Tray Alert: The Traffic Meter indicating incoming or outgoing traffic just keeps on changing approximately every 18 seconds.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated because like I said, it's very annoying.

Thanks, again.
    Sincerely,
    Chris

There is a work around I'm not sure if this what your looking for but here goes.This will hide the Zonealarm Icon on your taskbar. Right click on the taskbar>properties>the Taskbar and Start Menu properties box will open click
    taskbar>customize>click on Zonealarm and use the drop down menu change to always hide.

jpchris Guest

Hi Greb49er,

Well, that made it a little worse (unfortunately). I don't have "Hide inactive icons" checked because I only have the Volume Control; CA Anti-Virus; and ZAP in the systray.

So, I clicked the " . . . hide" button and checked ZAP. It did a good job of hiding ZAP, but now when the GenHostW32 does it's thing, the ZAP icon flashes up in the systray, shows traffic, then goes away making it just a little more annoying than before because now the systray window slides to the left to make room for ZAP, then slides back to show just the clock.

It *does not* interfere with the performance of my 'puter, it's just annoying.

I don't know if the following info should have been included in the original post, but, this all started with the DL of WXP SP2. With my other 'puter (SP1) in Task Mangler I've only got 4 svchost.exe's listed. With SP2, there's 5.

I did some checking and it seems that the extra svchost.exe is listed as: Generic Host Process for Win32 Services; v.5.1.2600.2180[xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158.

Do you think this might be the culprit? Or, do you think I should ask in one of the MS Communities to see if I can just "hide" this? Or . . .?

Thanks,
    Chris

Sorry, there is no way around it. That flashing shows the traffic, no matter what kind of TCP traffic. One thing you could do is set your TaskBar to Auto hide. If you just have those three items, then you probably don't need the taskbar anyway. I remember seeing some third party taskbars around, I will see if I can find one.
    My homes are SpywareHammer.com and DonHoover.net and BleepingComputer.com

Consumer Security - 2011 & 2012

Tilting at windmills hurts you more than the windmills.
    -From the Notebooks of Lazarus Long
    Senior of the Howard Families

jpchris Guest

Hi Hoov,

The computer I'm using now has SP1 and there's no flashing, nor does the "generic host . . ." have a dot next to it.

However, the SP2 computer is the problem.

Do you think the SP2 install might be the problem???

Thanks,
    Chris

Nope, just luck of the toss. Eventually it will flash. Any TCP / IP traffic either internal or external will cause that to go off.

By the way, here is that third party taskbar. It's the only one I can find at the moment.http://www.tgtsoft.com/prod_sxp.phpCalled Style XP

Thread Information