Thread: ZoneAlarm Pro and D-Link DI-524

pritesh Guest

Default ZoneAlarm Pro and D-Link DI-524

I was going through my router's settings, and found a tab called ZoneAlarm. It says to optionally put in a license key for ZoneAlarm Pro. When I do enable the protection, it just seems to not let me use the internet. I'm using ZoneAlarm ISS on my machine now, and I also have a key for ZA Pro. Any ideas as to why this isn't working?

Pritesh

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:Other ZoneAlarm Product
    Software Version:

Default Re: ZoneAlarm Pro and D-Link DI-524

Woah, that's the special ZoneAlarm Pro for routers.You shouldn't use the ZA Pro key for software version on the hardware router - that requires special router only licences I think.

pritesh Guest

Interesting. I'll check my router documentation and see if the key is available.

Pritesh

critterjoe Guest

From the documentation I read on the web, that feature keeps anyone who is not using ZA PRO from using your internet connection on the DI-524. So if you are using ZASS, it might not recognize that, and thus lock you out of your own internet connection. The license key, at least it appears from the description, is only used so that you can customize the computers that are exempt from the ZA PRO requirement by specifying the exempt IP addresses.
    The ZA PRO license key has to be inserted without hyphens. That's the way I interpreted the description, and your mileage may vary. But again, the router may not recognize the ZASS present on your PC; I don't know. The fact that it specifically says ZA PRO makes me wonder though. Of course you could exempt your own PC from the ZA PRO requirement using the method described in the router documentation if you wanted. Good luck.

Message Edited by Critterjoe on 01-11-200701:35 PM

Best getting the info from ZA customer support - they can explain the special ZA for your router and what sort of licence key it needs.

pritesh Guest

Ok, I installed ZAP from the install CD given to me by the router. There doesn't seem to be any type of connection between the router and the software on the machine. Nowhere in the manual does the ZoneAlarm tab come up at all. I'll post an image of what this tab tooks like. You can find the image here. http://loki.rider.edu/techclub/ZAP.jpg

Pritesh

Message Edited by Pritesh on 01-11-200709:24 PM

Message Edited by Pritesh on 01-11-200709:26 PM

critterjoe Guest

<blockquote><hr>Pritesh wrote:
    Ok, I installed ZAP from the install CD given to me by the router. There doesn't seem to be any type of connection between the router and the software on the machine. Nowhere in the manual does the ZoneAlarm tab come up at all. I'll post an image of what this tab tooks like. You can find the image here. http://loki.rider.edu/techclub/ZAP.jpg

Pritesh

Message Edited by Pritesh on 01-11-200709:24 PM

Message Edited by Pritesh on 01-11-200709:26 PM
    <hr></blockquote>

Here are the instructions/info on that feature from the dlink support site. Scroll down to the last item on the page:

http://support.dlink.com/emulators/d.../help_adv.html

pritesh Guest

Alright, that answers my question, for the most part. They should have it so you can use any ZoneLabs product, and the computer will understand it. I was under the initial impression that ZA was built into the firmware of the router, and it handled all the security business. That would have been the more logical approach, so users don't have to put ZAP on each machine individually, which usually means acquiring a license per machine. Oh well.

Pritesh

Thread Information