Thread: Norton AntiVirus

Hybrid View

bigbad Guest

Default Norton AntiVirus

I've just upgraded my Norton AntiVirus software to the 2007 version and ZoneAlarm Pro is not compatible and needs to be uninstalled, is there a fix?

Operating System:
    Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:

Message Edited by BiGbad on 01-13-200709:31 PM

critterjoe Guest

Default Re: Norton AntiVirus

<blockquote><hr>BiGbad wrote:
    I've just upgraded my Norton AntiVirus software to the 2007 version and ZoneAlarm Pro is not compatible and needs to be uninstalled, is there a fix?

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name: ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version: 6.5

Message Edited by BiGbad on 01-13-200709:31 PM
    <hr></blockquote>

Are you experiencing an actual problem/conflict, or are you just going by the message that pops up during installation where NAV 2007 recommends uninstalling ZA? A lot of us are using NAV 2007. We just ignored the warning that NAV pops up during installation and go ahead with the install. Some people will then disable NAV's Internet Worm Protection (IWP) since part of its function is a &quot;mini-firewall&quot; and they don't want to have 2 firewalls on. I've left mine on since it has additional functions as well, but that's up to you. If you're having a definite conflict, then you can try turning IWP off. So let us know if you have a definite problem and describe what it is, or if you were concerned by the warning that NAV 2007 pops up at installation.

If you aborted before installing NAV 2007 and plan to procede, then unplug from the internet, then I'd turn off ZA and other security products, by going to Overview|Preferences and unchecking &quot;load ZA at startup&quot;. Reboot, and ZA will not be running. Install the NAV. Go back to ZA control panel and check &quot;load ZA at startup.&quot; Restart any other security products. Reboot. Confirm that ZA and NAV restarted. Now connect cable back to the internet. Go online and update the NAV with latest antivirus definitions.

I'm not sure what previous version of NAV you are upgrading from, but sometimes if it's a big jump, or if there has been a failed installation, you might need to run the Norton Removal Tool, which removes all Norton products (NAV, Systemworks, Internet Security, etc.) from a PC. Its available from Symantec support at:

http://www.symantec.com/techsupp

At that site, enter &quot;norton removal tool&quot; in the search box in the upper right corner. At the next page, scroll down about 1/3 and click on &quot;Download and Run the Norton Removal Tool.&quot; Good luck.

Message Edited by Critterjoe on 01-13-200710:33 PM

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:6.1

bigbad Guest

Thanks Critterjoe, I get the popup when installing from Norton AntiVirus2006 to Norton AntiVirus2007, I'll just install it then.

I just uninstalled ZA, installed NAV 2007 then reinstalled ZA. No problems. (I've disabled internet worm protection in NAV).

bigbad Guest

Yeah, I did the same thing but in ZA it says I have no Virus protection.

critterjoe Guest

<blockquote><hr>BiGbad wrote:
    Yeah, I did the same thing but in ZA it says I have no Virus protection.
    <hr></blockquote>

No, that's not what it says. Actually, what it should say is &quot;There is no anti-virus running on your computer that ZoneLabs can detect. Make sure you are running anti-virus software.&quot;

So if you know your NAV is installed and running, you've done what the statement above says to do--you've made sure you're running anti-virus software. Since ZA does not recognize our NAV, many of us just turn off that antivirus monitoring feature of ZA to save whatever small degree of CPU usage it uses. Perhaps future releases of ZA will be able to identify more and more antivirus software. You can check to be sure your AV program is running by the Norton &quot;Auto-protect&quot; icon in the systray, and you can check the processes in &quot;Task Manager.&quot; Also, the Norton Protection Center (part of NAV) should show a green checkmark by &quot;Virus Protection&quot; under the Basic PC Security section.

Message Edited by Critterjoe on 01-15-200703:42 AM

ZA free does recognise NAV 2007 on my system (it reports it as Norton Antivirus (Symantec Corporation)), but I have turned the monitoring in ZA
    off. Security center already monitors NAV anyway, I don't see any point in having additional monitoring.
    This is so for ZA free 6.5.737 and 7.0.302

critterjoe Guest

<blockquote><hr>JRosenfeld wrote:
    ZA free does recognise NAV 2007 on my system (it reports it as Norton Antivirus (Symantec Corporation)), but I have turned the monitoring in ZA off. Security center already monitors NAV anyway, I don't see any point in having additional monitoring.This is so for ZA free 6.5.737 and 7.0.302
    <hr></blockquote>

I'm wondering if it might depend on the order in which the 2 programs are installed. I installed ZA first, then NAV (with ZA disabled but still installed), while I think (if I understood correctly) you uninstalled ZA completely, and put NAV onto your system first before you re-installed ZA. Perhaps ZA recognizes NAV if NAV is already present, but not if ZA is installed first. I otherwise can't explain why some people's ZA sees it and some don't. There's also some complex interaction between the 2 programs in that each one is trying to protect its own client and keeps the other from examining its files. If you run a NAV scan, for instance, ZA won't allow it access to certain ZA files (whether you see all these blocks will depend on your alert level and trust level although you can see them in the ZA logs), while if you look in NAV logs, you will see multiple instances where NAV refuses ZA access to NAV's files as well.

Message Edited by Critterjoe on 01-16-200702:28 PM

Thread Information