Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: free ZA7 installation glitch

johnnybob Guest

Default free ZA7 installation glitch

Only one problem encountered with free ZA, so far...
    At the end of the ZA7 installation process,
    my computer hung in the restart (shutdown) phase. It was dead in the water, no response to Ctrl-Alt-Del. That is typical of
    a crashed script, or maybe a very
    slow script in progress. I waited about 5 minutes then
    pressed the power-off button. After powering-up
    the ZA7 installation appears to have completed and everything seems OK (so far).
    I had some
    problems with the free ZA 6.5 version, so reverted to 6.1. I've tested those same issues with ZA7, and they are
    fixed for me. So far, so good...
    I'm running Windows XP Home (SP2) with IE6 browser, Athlon XP 2400+, 2.0 GHz, 1GB RAM, lots of hard drive space

Default Re: free ZA7 installation glitch

Did you have any active monitoring software running at the time, that might have prevented a script from running? (e.g. Windows Defender
    or some AV app). I usually disable all active monitoring when installing software. Even if often unnecessary, it saves the occasional problem.

johnnybob Guest

I don't have Windows Defender. I use Spybot-Search and Destroy which monitors IE for badguy internet addresses - that's all - and I didn't think to disable it. Could that be the cause?

I went offline (turned off the DSL modem), and
    closed/disabled everything possible, including my avast anti-virus software. Then I opened Windows Task Manager
    with Ctrl-Alt-Del and ended all
    unnecessary application processes. The prior ZA6.1 installation had been cleanly uninstalled previously.

johnnybob Guest

I had occasion to do a System Restore to a point just prior to installation of ZA7, for a different reason (unrelated to ZA). So I uninstalled ZA7 first, then did the System Restore.
    After the System Restore, I reinstalled ZA7. Again I used maximum care to shut down all unnecessary applications and processes, and this time I remembered to disable
    Spybot-Search & Destroy as well. But exactly the same thing happened...my computer
    froze at the end of the ZA7 installation, in the restart (shutdown) phase. I waited 10 minutes this time, and again I had to use the power button to recover control.
    So this is a reproducible glitch in the ZA7 installation.
    Again, after power up, everything seems OK and ZA7 was installed OK insofar as I can discover (so far). Thus I believe the ZA7 installation script has
    a bug of some kind which prevents proper restart of the computer at the end.
    I'm running Windows XP Home SP2 with all the latest updates, IE6 browser, AMD 2400+ XP @2GHz, 1GB RAM, 2 large Hard Drives with lots of free space. My system is operating perfectly in all respects.

Would you happen to have Windows Office quick start running?
    My homes are SpywareHammer.com and DonHoover.net and BleepingComputer.com

Consumer Security - 2011 & 2012

Tilting at windmills hurts you more than the windmills.
    -From the Notebooks of Lazarus Long
    Senior of the Howard Families

johnnybob Guest

I'm not sure what you mean by Microsoft Office.
    How would I determine if I have "Windows Office quick start running"? I've never heard of it.

DO you have Microsoft office installed?
    My homes are SpywareHammer.com and DonHoover.net and BleepingComputer.com

Consumer Security - 2011 & 2012

Tilting at windmills hurts you more than the windmills.
    -From the Notebooks of Lazarus Long
    Senior of the Howard Families

johnnybob Guest

I don't know. "Microsoft Office" is an ambiguous term, or at least I'm not familiar with
    the precise definition. Some say it's MS Works, some say it's MS Word, etc. So I don't really know.
    I have whatever came with this computer, a Compaq S-4020WM from mid-2003 with Windows XP Home SP2, although I uninstalled a lot of things. I kept MS Works but uninstalled MS Money. Is that "Microsoft Office"? If you'll give me a specific .exe name or a specific running process name,
    I can check to see if I have it on my computer.
    However I think it's unlikely because
    I was following detailed installation instructions which I found somewhere on these forums. So I
    had turned off my DSL modem and ended all unnecessary processes in Windows Task Manager. My anti-virus software was disabled, printer drivers stopped, and everything else unnecessary was stopped of which I was aware.
    So the ZA 7.0 installer had a free and open field to do its job, insofar as I'm aware, and it froze
    my computer at the end during the restart phase.

MS Office is a suite of programs including Word, Excel, Powerpoint and, depending on the
    edition of the suite (standard, pro, small business edition, etc.) other MS programs such as Access, Publisher, etc. You appear to have a different Microsoft suite: MS Works suite. Recent versions include the same
    Word program as the Office suite.
    Works also has a spreadsheet program, different from Excel and some other components.
    Sorry that I can't help with the ZA installation, as I have never had a problem installing it.

johnnybob Guest

Thanks for the explanation. Based on that, I don't have Microsoft Office. I have Microsoft Works 7.0 (2002), which I guess you can call a suite if you want to. It includes a word processor, spreadsheet, and database. I
    leave it totally inactive (no running processes)
    and load it manually whenever I need it, which is not very often. So it's fairly
    clear now that
    I don't have the Microsoft Office fast start thingamajig.
    After some reading, and now that I think of it, if memory serves, I didn't
    restart my computer after unchecking the box that loads ZA at startup. That wasn't clear in the instructions I was following. But I have no idea whether that could have caused the restart freeze.
    That's a big problem with Zone Alarm - complications with the installations and uninstallations. There's too many technical problems that can crop up. The average person doesn't understand them nor know how to deal with them. It's a life's work. It needs to be made simple, stupid, blunderproof, for dummies!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information