Thread: ZA Free 7.0 Download Size

littlem Guest

Default ZA Free 7.0 Download Size

Hello,

I am still using ZA Free 6.1.744 and I want to try ZA 7.0 Free, but ZA Free is a 39mb download. I am on dial-up and it would take around 3 hours to download 39mb. What I want to know is, can I download ZA Pro 7.0 ( less than 15mb ) and then when the 15 day trial expires will it convert to ZA Free ?
    Is there another version of ZA Free 7.0 that dosen't have the Internet Security Suite packaged with the download. I read on Major Geek's that's why the download of ZA Free 7.0
    is so big. It said you don't have to install the Suite so why not go back and just give us the option of
    downloading ZA Free 7.0 without the Suite. I would imagine the 39mb download is going to stop a lot of other people like me that is on dial-up from downloading it also. If ZA Pro will convert to free after trial I will give it a try, if not I guess I am stuck with the older versions until ZA offers ZA Free as a download by itself again. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Operating System:Windows XP Home Edition
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.1

lordankur Guest

Default Re: ZA Free 7.0 Download Size

yup,za free does include security suite in it...i do not know if za-pro will convert to free version or not..but one thing i can tell you is that there's no difference between za-free 6.5 and 7...so why don't you download the 6.5 free version from here:http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/fre...seHistory.html

click on the last 6.5 build!

billc Guest

Exactly correct. I've don't know why Zone Labs decided to include ZASS in Zone Alarm Free 7.0

littlem Guest

Thanks for the replies. If ZA Free 7.0 isn't any different then I will download 6.5 free. Do I have to uninstall ZA Free 6.1 first or can I install over the existing version? If I have to uninstall 6.1, do I have to do a clean uninstall or a normal one? Also if I have to uninstall how can I keep my settings?
    You guys are great, I really appreciate your help and advice. Thank You!:8}

billc Guest

No you don't need to uninstall Zone Alarm 6.1 first. Here's what you should do. Download and save Zone Alarm Free 6.5 to your desktop. Now go into your already installed firewall > Overview > Preferences panel, uncheck the 'Load Zone Alarm at Startup' then reboot. Now run the new installation and do select a clean install when you're asked.

The previous versions of ZA free included ZA Pro files and you had the option during install to install a trial version of that instead of ZA free.I think with ZA free 7, the ZASS files are included to try to induce you to install that as a trial version (though the screen offering that comes later on in the install).

Message Edited by JRosenfeld on 02-02-200712:19 AM

billc Guest

It does indeed include the ZASS files which is why Zone Alarm Free is so big...35mb.

littlem Guest

Thanks for all the replies to this post.

I
    have
    downloaded ZA Free 6.5 and I think I will continue to use it until there is a major change in ZA Free. As I said before a 35mb file would take around 3 hours to download, there will have to be some major improvements before I spend that amount of time downloading a new version. Thanks Again!
    I appreciate the time you took to answer my post. You guys do an awesome job!

The only thing you're missing is the new icon in systray (now like the one at the top left ofthis board, instead of the red and yellow ZA one) :-)

Message Edited by JRosenfeld on 02-03-200707:04 PM

wcollens Guest

Here is the release history of v7
    http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/fre...ml#7.0.302.000

Thread Information