Thread: Windows Security Centre service and Automatic Updates Disabled

sheldondsouza Guest

Default Windows Security Centre service and Automatic Updates Disabled

Windows Security Centre service and Automatic Updates Disabled!
    Inspite of starting the service everytime on reboot, the sevice get disabled again. Dont know what the problem here?
    Have Zonealarm 6.5 version

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:6.5

billc Guest

Default Re: Windows Security Centre service and Automatic Updates Disabled

I don't know why or if ZASS has anything to do with that. Yours is the first question I've seen on the subject. The only way to check it is to disable the ZASS from loading at startup and see if it still happens.

NAV 2007 by default disables security service. If you have NAV 2007, to turn security service back on, open Norton protection Center, click options, check 'Show messages from Windows Security Center', click OK.
    You may also have to start the service: click start, run, type services.msc press enter. In the window that opens, scroll down to Security Center, if it does not show in the status column
    as started, click on it to highlight it, click start. Also check that the startup type is automatic (you may need to expand the window to the right to see the Startup Type
    column). If not, double click on the security center service to open its properties, general tab,
    in the startup type box select automatic, click apply, OK.
    One other possibility: Security center requires Windows Management Instrumentation service to be started (and Remote Procedure Call (RPC), but you probably could not get into Windows if that is not started). So you could check WMI as well.

Don't know about automatic updates. I have have automatic updates unchecked, although I keep its service on automatic, as that has to be started also for manual check for updates at Microsoft Updates.

Message Edited by JRosenfeld on 02-03-200708:30 PM

littlem Guest

I had a similar problem one time, turned out to be some type of malware. If you don't already have it installed
    download SpyBot Search & Destroy and run a scan. SpyBot caught it on my system. I didn't know that
    Windows Security Center had been disabled until Spybot found the malware that had disabled it. I checked and sure enough it was disabled. Cleaned with SpyBot and and enabled Windows Security Center, rebooted and it was still enabled. SpyBot is the only spyware scanner that I have that caught it, and I have 4 different spyware programs. Hope this helps.:8}

Thread Information