Thread: Message saying Pc might be at risk

xonk Guest

Default Message saying Pc might be at risk

I invariably receive
    the following message after signing on
    Your computer might be at risk. avg 7.5.441 is turned off
    unquote
    Withing a very short period thereafter message disappears, I am at a complete loss as to why this messsage keeps popping upbecause
    the product
    as far as I am aware is working correctly. The icon shows up in system tray.Can anyone suggest why this is happening and if so is there
    a reason why this is happening and how can it be rectifiedThe version which I have installed is 7.5.441Thanksxonk

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro

zaswing Guest

Default Re: Message saying Pc might be at risk

Is avg really on or is it off perhaps turned off during installation of ZAPro? Can you tell it's running?
    Who issues the message?
    If this is the Windows security center message, it might mean that M$ hasn't listed it in their tiny list of virus products they know exist and include in the registry. Has it always been like this? Or do you think this is ZAPro message?

xonk Guest

Hi
    Having read yr response I am now beginning to see some light at the end of the tunnel.My AVG is really on because it shows up in the system tray everytime I sign on. This would suggest it is in
    msconfig. Further more it is set to do a scan and I can see that running.As far as who issues
    the message of concern, I thought it was from AVG but now
    you ask, it very well could be coming from the
    Windows Security Center.I am not prepared to definitely say that this happens on each occasion when I sign on but one cannot help but notice it on occasions.Having said that the message which appears only pops up for a short while before disappearing into the background.
    Hopefully the info which I have provided will help you in your diagnosis

You could check whether it is security center (usually a security center icon will appear in the sys tray, but maybe it has been set to always hide, or you did not notice it)Control panel, security center applet. check what it says under virus Protection. If it recognises avg,
    click on change the way security center alerts me. Uncheck virus protection, click OK. If the warning no longer appears then it will have been the security center giving the warning for some reason. If security center does not recognise avg, you should have an option alongthe lines of 'I have antivirus and will manage it myself'. Select that.
    If it is not security center, do you have ZA set to monitor your antivirus? If so, turn that off, if the warning does not recur it was ZA.

azbruno Guest

I'm running free version 6.5.737.000 on XP Media Center 2005 (Dell XPS410). Once in a while when I start the PC, the boot processes hangs up for a while after the Welcome screen but before the desktop appears (the whole screen is background blue). It may be an extra couple minutes. Usually when that happens, I'll get the Windows icon in the system tray telling me the computer is "at risk" because ZA is not running, when in fact it is. But once I got the delay without the message.

Any theories?

-Bruno

xonk Guest

Hi JR
    I think we
    have cracked it !!After carrying out your instructions I have put it to the test three (3) times i.e. by restarting PC and the
    message is no longer appears,The security icon was
    set to always show but as
    previously
    pointed out, more often than not I did notice this icon popping up.Under Security Center,
    Virus Protection it
    says that AVG 7.5.541 is uptodate and virus scanning is on.It recognizes AVG. Clicked
    on change way security center alerts me and unchecked virus protection.Perhaps it is safe to close this thread. If anything ontoward reoccurs will contact you once again.
    To all : Yr help very much appreciated

xonk Guest

Hi JR
    Sorry to be bothering you but just discovered that what was happening has once again cropped up. I ran Spybot S&D and one problem showed up and as it turned out, it was referring to just this problem. After fixing all problems in S&D I went to Security Center and found that what you had told me to untick was once again ticked, hence the recurrence.
    Once again unticked and prob disappeared.Now the problem is, if on each occasion I run S&D and
    the exact prob is shown up, what then? I am sure u see my dilemna.
    I am attaching the log file with
    details of fault S&D found just it is of any use. Awaiting your input

Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter.AntiVirusDisableNo tify: Settings (Registry change, nothing done)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify!=dword:0
    --- Spybot - Search & Destroy version: 1.4
    (build: 20050523) ---2005-05-31 blindman.exe (1.0.0.1)
    2005-05-31 SpybotSD.exe (1.4.0.3)
    2005-05-31 TeaTimer.exe (1.4.0.2)
    2007-02-08 unins000.exe (51.41.0.0)
    2005-05-31 Update.exe (1.4.0.0)
    2007-01-15 advcheck.dll (1.2.1.0)
    2005-05-31 aports.dll (2.1.0.0)
    2005-05-31 borlndmm.dll (7.0.4.453)
    2005-05-31 delphimm.dll (7.0.4.453)
    2005-05-31 SDHelper.dll (1.4.0.0)
    2007-01-02 Tools.dll (2.0.1.0)
    2005-05-31 UnzDll.dll (1.73.1.1)
    2005-05-31 ZipDll.dll (1.73.2.0)
    2007-02-07 Includes\Cookies.sbi (*)
    2006-12-08 Includes\Dialer.sbi (*)
    2007-02-07 Includes\DialerC.sbi (*)
    2007-02-07 Includes\Hijackers.sbi (*)
    2007-02-07 Includes\HijackersC.sbi (*)
    2006-10-27 Includes\Keyloggers.sbi (*)
    2007-02-07 Includes\KeyloggersC.sbi (*)
    2004-11-29 Includes\LSP.sbi (*)
    2007-01-12 Includes\Malware.sbi (*)
    2007-02-07 Includes\MalwareC.sbi (*)
    2007-01-19 Includes\PUPS.sbi (*)
    2007-02-07 Includes\PUPSC.sbi (*)
    2007-02-07 Includes\Revision.sbi (*)
    2006-12-08 Includes\Security.sbi (*)
    2007-02-07 Includes\SecurityC.sbi (*)
    2007-02-02 Includes\Spybots.sbi (*)
    2007-02-07 Includes\SpybotsC.sbi (*)
    2005-02-17 Includes\Tracks.uti
    2006-12-08 Includes\Trojans.sbi (*)
    2007-02-07 Includes\TrojansC.sbi (*)
    unquote

Yes indeed, Spybot notices that the security center has been set not to
    alert you about the Antivirus. If you let Spybot fix it, it will reset security center to alert you, as you found out. However, Spybot is checking that in case some malware had changed the setting. But since you have deliberately set security center not to alert you about Antivirus, in Spybot, click on the + next to
    that item then click on the line below it (settings....) to highlight it, then right click on it, click 'exclude this detection from further searches'. Then Spybot won't flag it again.
    Actually, in Spybot, if you open the info panel (click on the large grey
    button with 2 arrow heads on it
    on the right side of the
    scan for problems window to slide the info panel open), highlight the item, you will find detailed explanation and suggestion.
    You can always restore Spybot to check that setting in its scan if you wish, in advanced mode, settings, ignore single entries, right click on the entry you'll find there and remove it from the exclude list.

Message Edited by JRosenfeld on 02-13-200701:38 AM

zaswing Guest

I gather from your discussion, and the listing, to be specific, that Spybot S&D TeaTimer is on. Should it be on with ZA Pro? Or is there a possibility of conflict here?

xonk Guest

Hi JR
    After carrying out yr instructions, Perfecto, Currently running like a Rolls RoyceWill in future have to pay more attention whenever something roars it's ugly head in S&D. I.E: detailed explanation which I have never used before.Hopefully
    can consider this thread as closed.
    TO. Zasuiteuser - Checked S&D Tea Timer and it is turned off

Thread Information