Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ZA 7 Security Suite + Windows Messenger (signing in) = System Freezes!

programatix Guest

Default ZA 7 Security Suite + Windows Messenger (signing in) = System Freezes!

Hi,
    I was using ZoneAlarm Pro 6 without problem.
    After installing ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite 7, my system seems to hang everytimes I connect to network.
    After further investigation, I found out that when Windows Messenger (msmsgs.exe) starts the sign in process, it causes the system to freeze completely except the mouse cursor and the desktop.
    During the freeze up, pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL is useless and Taskbar stops responding. I can open any folders from the Desktop. Running any executable files from there will bring up a dialog box stating that I do not have to right to access the files.
    Thanks.

Operating System:Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    Software Version:7.0

superclyde Guest

Default Re: ZA 7 Security Suite + Windows Messenger (signing in) = System Freezes!

Did you completely remove ZA Pro first?Also do you use Messenger?

programatix Guest

Default Re: ZA 7 Security Suite + Windows Messenger (signing in) = System Freezes!

At first, I did an upgrade, which hang the system at startup. Have to go to safe mode and reinstall, choosing the Clean mode. This time system starts up normally.
    Windows Messenger (msmsgs.exe) usually will fail to sign in. If I leave it there, everything works fine. If I open it and click the sign in button (link is more perfect), I'll get a random effect, either sign in fail (with a dialog box stating that .NET Messenger service might be down), or system freeze.
    Checking the ZoneAlarm's Program Control->Programs, Windows Messenger is in the following state,SmartDefence=Auto, check mark for all but Send Mail.
    Thank.

Hi!This is strange... I have no sign-in problems with MSN messenger 8 and ZASS 7...You could try to set IMsecurity to OFF. Reboot..Does it hang?Fax

Click here for ZA Support
    Monday-Saturday 6am to 10pm Central time
    Closed Sundays and Holidays

programatix Guest

Yup... still freeze.
    I also tried installing Windows Live Messenger, and my system freezes when it tries to sign in. Sometimes during, sometimes after Windows Live Messenger reports that it cannot connect to the service.
    I then tried uninstalling ZoneAlarm and reboot. Everything works perfectly.
    I reinstalled ZoneAlarm again and reboot. System freezes again when Windows Live Messenger tries to sign in.
    I now disabled Windows Live Messenger and everything works fine... but I need to use it.
    Anyone with any solution?
    Thanks.

Hi!disabling IM should get ZA out completely from MSN Messenger...So, there must be something else.If you disable program control in ZA you still get the freeze? If not, try again a ZA database reset.If you still experience a freeze please contact ZA technical support: www.zonelabs.com/tsform Fax

programatix Guest

I tried the following,
    1. Turned off the Progam Control, still freeze.
    2. Turned the Firewall to Medium, still freeze.
    3. Shutdown ZoneAlarm, Messenger can sign in without freezing the system.

After Messenger successfully signed in, I can now start ZoneAlarm without

freezing the system.

Please note that, with ZoneAlarm started, Messenger fails to connect to the

service.

I also did some more experimenting.

In the Option->Connection setting of Windows Live Messenger, there is a Test button for TCP/IP. When I click the button, the system freeze (whether I'm connected or not).

When the system freeze, it seems like all other activities still goes on normally (defrag, virus scan, ect) but the GUI stop to respond. I can ALT-TAB so switch application but upon clicking them, they just stop responding.

Regarding contacting ZoneAlarm Technical Support, I did but no respond from them.

Thanks

<BLOCKQUOTE>
    <BLOCKQUOTE><HR>programatix wrote:

Regarding contacting ZoneAlarm Technical Support, I did but no respond from them.

Thanks <HR>

</BLOCKQUOTE>
    Hi!did you received the autoresponse after sending the web form? If not, your spamfilter may have filter it out.If yes, just wait for the answer (1-2 business days).Cheers,FaxEDIT: Have you tried to add your DNS and DHCP server to the trusted zone (firewall tab)See here how to know your DNS: http://www.donhoover.net/dnsdhcp.html </BLOCKQUOTE>

Message Edited by fax on 01-25-2007 09:19 AM

programatix Guest

Yes I did. So, far I'm responding to my own problem and recieving everything I've sent to them.

mbergman Guest

Has anyone found a solution to this problem? I just installed ZA7 Suite and ran into the same issue. I actually tried the same experiments before checking this forum, and I cannot log in to Windows Live Messenger

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information