Thread: Zone Alarm Pro locks internet after inactivity (not Internet Lock)

peg Guest

Default Zone Alarm Pro locks internet after inactivity (not Internet Lock)

I did have a problem a while back, as others, where ZA didn't want to 'unlock' after engaging & then disengaging the Internet Lock (I'm using ZAP 6.5). I stopped using the lock, as some suggested.

Now, anytime there's inactivity of > a few min, it locks all internet access, even though the lock hasn't been engaged. Only way to regain access is shut down / restart ZA immediately.

It also (in same time frame) has stopped logging ALL alerts. Yes, the settings are still the same. I'm thinking the problem w/ ZA locking access is related to the failure to log events, if only because of some corrupted file(s). This is such a common complaint / problem w/ many users postings on this forum, can't help think it's really just an unaddressed / unresolved bug.

I will try to reset / clear the data base files or perhaps reset ZA settings to default first. Other than that, anyone have other suggestions that might avoid a reinstall?

Thanks.

jaasco Guest

Default Re: Zone Alarm Pro locks internet after inactivity (not Internet Lock)

I have the same problem. Using ZA 6.5.737.000, XP home,
    ADSL connection.
    After a period of inactivity, not always the same, sometimes after 20 mins, other times after maybe an hour or more, all internet connection is blocked. Only out is to shut down ZA and restart. Have checked through all the obvious settings and no luck. I have been using ZA for a number of years now, and this issue has only been with me for maybe 6 months or so. Very annoying. Also suspect a bug in one of the more recent updates. Sorry no solution, I'm looking for one also.Cheers

peg Guest

Hard to believe no one has had this same problem & found a cause / solution, or that there is no solution other than possibly reinstalling.

2nd, I just want to go on record that -I- am Anna Nichole's baby's father. Just wanted to throw that out there.

peg Guest

Update: Tried setting as many of the ZAP settings to the defaults as I could (possible I missed one / some).

That didn't solve the problem of ZA not logging alert events, at least so they were viewable from the Log Viewer.

I reset my database, which so far seems to have solved problem. I found this article, which some may have seen, by typing the phrase "reset database" in the "Instant Support" page on Zone Labs site.

Article's titled I'm not logging any alerts in ZoneAlarm
    here: http://www2.nohold.net/noHoldCust542.../NoAlerts.html

I imagine the steps for resetting ZA database are same for most anything ailing it that resetting DB would / might cure.

TIPS: Others have suggested that after resetting DB, may want to make a BU of the fresh / clean config settings that ZA creates after the .RDB, .LDB & .TMP files are deleted.

Do this from the ZA "Overview > Preferences > Backup & Restore Security Settings" screen.
    Could name the BU files something like "ZA settings clean 2-14-07" or "ZA settings manual 2-14-07"

Also, depending on whether you let ZA automatically configure permissions for programs (either on a new install of ZA or resetting DB, like here) or if you Use the "Manual" setting for Smart Defense Advisor under Program Control > Main tab, you might want to make a 2nd BU of ZA settings. Do this after most programs have had permissions set (granted or denied).

This way, if the DB screws up again, you can restore the level of settings you want w/o having to reboot into Safe Mode (as I did in XP) in order to delete the required files mentioned, then rebooting again, AND w/o having to reconfigure all prgm permissions again. That's the definition of reinventing the wheel.

peg Guest

Further update:

As reported earlier-I did reset the database in ZAP 6.5.

That did fix problem of ZA not logging alerts, but may not have totally fixed ZA locking all internet access after an undetermined period of inactivity on the PC. The latter is much better, but may not be totally fixed - it's very sporadic now, and hard to recreate.

At this point, if it happens very often, perhaps only other action would be to uninstall / reinstall ZA. Was hoping they'd have ZA v7 "ready for prime time" by now, but doesn't appear so, as of now.

wsc Guest

I have the same issue. I originally thought this was related to engaging the Internet Lock, but I've since found it appears simply related to extended periods of inactivity.

I did not experience this problem until I updated to the latest version and purchased the ZA Anti virus component. Wild shot in the dark: My ZA is not installed on the C drive, but on D. Could that have anything to do with it?

Product Info:
    ZoneAlarm Anti-virus version:7.0.302.000
    TrueVector version:7.0.302.000
    Driver version:7.0.302.000
    Anti-virus engine version:3

Any other threads on this? Has anyone heard from tech support (I know this is a user forum - just curious about any phone/email comm).

Thanks!

peg Guest

<blockquote><hr>wsc wrote:
    I did not experience this problem until I updated to the latest version and purchased the ZA Anti virus component. Wild shot in the dark: My ZA is not installed on the C drive, but on D. Could that have anything to do with it?</blockquote>

I'm still using ZAP 6.5. My guess is the problem existed in it and carried on to v7. I'm guessing it's a bug that is &quot;activated&quot; for the first time by using the Internet lock feature. After that, it's like opening Pandora's Box. From then on, ZA decides to (sporadically, for me) lock traffic, whether you engage the lock or not.

I doubt it has anything to do w/ being installed on D:\, although mine is too. But so are millions of other users' installs of ZA. Anything's possible.

Thread Information