Thread: program changing its own permissions?

hiaxis Guest

Default program changing its own permissions?

Hi all,
    I regularly go through the list of Program Files in the Program Control section of Zone Alarm Pro to see what has access, what does not, what's been added, etc. and I've come across a strange problem. I noticed two odd entries in the list of program files, one simply titled "i" and the other is a 4-5 character name in a font I can't read. I right click on them and go to properties and it says they're both not found. Considering I had no idea what they were, why they were there, or where they came from, I decided to "kill" them both using the kill setting and never gave them another thought. This was a couple of weeks ago.
    Once again, I was looking through the list and noticed the same two entries' permissions had been changed back to grant them access to the internet again which was weird. I changed it back to "kill", logged out of the firewall, and let the computer sit there for a while. In a matter of ten minutes or so, the permissions had been changed back to allow access to the internet, even while I was logged out of ZoneAlarm! How is this possible and what's the deal with this?
    I've never had a virus and keep my computer as clean as a whistle with regular HiJackThis scans, virus scans, spyware programs, etc. so I have no idea why or HOW entries listed in the Program Control section could change their own permissions??
    Any thoughts?Brian

Operating System:
    Windows XP Pro
    Product Name:
    ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:

Message Edited by hiaxis on 02-16-200711:30 AM

Default Re: program changing its own permissions?

Usually some Windows update or dead remmant from a previous install leaves some stupid little item in the ZA. The ZA hangs onto these like they are gold. It still thinks that is important for the update or installed program to be functional.

Usually a clean out with a file/reg cleaner will remove the remmants and then the ZA will permanently remove the items when told to remove the item(s).

CCleaner is handy for this.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/CCleaner_S...ish_d4191.html

To completely purge the ZA of left overs and start with a new database, then do this:

Boot your computer into the Safe Mode

Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder

Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files in the folder

Clean the Recycle Bin

Reboot into the normal mode

ZA will be just like new with no previous settings or data

No more garbage or remmants or corruptions. Just like new.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Thread Information