Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Think my Zone Alarm has been hacked??

azamber Guest

Default uTorrent and TrueVector service crashing

I can't say for certain that it only crashes while running uTorrent, but I think that's the case. Also, right around the time it started crashing, I had just changed some settings in uTorrent that required me to patch my Tcp/ip file to allow more connections (or something along those lines). That part was probably a little impulsive, I admit, but my uTorrent speeds improved!

Anyway, I'm going to just try version 7. I know right after v7 came out, there was a problem with the TrueVector service crashing on some people's systems. I was one so I rolled back to v6.5 and haven't updated since, and I also didn't have a problem with the TrueVector service crashing on v6.5 until, like I said, a few weeks ago. So I'm going to back and re-read the last few responses you guru's have left me and try to get a nice clean install of v7. I'm also going to look into problems with patching the tcp/ip file. Offhand, would you know if that would have interfered with the TrueVector service?

Thank you in advance

azamber Guest

Default The link you gave me

...is the same as the previous post.

Default Re: The link you gave me

Actually they are different. They cover the same topic, but mine is the shorter and faster version.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Default Re: uTorrent and TrueVector service crashing

"patching the TCP/IP file" is the file of the torrent or the Windows (which is not a file but a driver/file and just a simple registry reset).

Any Peer Guardian or Protowall being used?

Instead of increasing the speeds, perhaps the better settings maybe less conections and less speed?

The torrent has server rights for both the Trusted and Internet Zones?

Actually rolling back to version 6.5 is not the best. It is little different from the version 7.

I would advise to forget about either version and use the ZA version 6.1.744.001 instead. The best version of the 6 series for P2P useage and probably the "golden version" that has come out for some time.

Do the " /clean" uninstall and download the 6.1.744.001 from here>

http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/fre...seHistory.html

This is more than adequate of your needs. I use the ZAAS 6.1.744.001 myself and prefer it over the next released versions.

Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 02-19-2007 01:08 AM

Product Name:ZoneAlarm Pro
    Software Version:5.x
    Best regards.
    oldsod

azamber Guest

Ooh, thanks for the heads up on v6.1! I will do as you say, thank you! Yes, running Peerguardian; uTorrent had full access. Fewer connections and slower speeds? HA! No way. lol

Default Re: Additional info

In the services, the true vector engine is listed.

In the properties, change the restart values. ie from restart to not restart and disable the wait and time.

That should stop that problem.
    Like I said the 6.1.744.001 is the better version and hopefully this problem is gone for good.

If the 6.1.744.001 crashes, then slow the sppeds and reduce the connections. That will solve the problem.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Okay LOL

Take care.

Oldsod
    Best regards.
    oldsod

azamber Guest

Actually, it was already set to "Take No Action". So a) does that mean I was hacked when event viewer previously listed the service as being restarted although I didn't manually do it?, and b)would setting it to restart be easier than going through the trouble of uninstalling, reinstalling, and resetting my permissions? Or is this just a symptom of a larger problem that I should fix before it gets worse? Also, I didn't notice anything for disabling wait and time. (I'm not very proficient in the mmc yet.) Thank you very much Oldsod, you've been very helpful.

Message Edited by azamber on 02-19-200709:38 PM

Message Edited by azamber on 02-19-200709:39 PM

hein_jhb Guest

Thanks for this forum. I also got the same error "TrueVector service crashing" and I also use uTorrent and also p2p programs. I will try out the version you use tonight.

If you were hacked, it would require some remote desktop or file sharing. If it was malware, the security executibles would have been hit and disabled. So neither apply. You are safe.

The true vector engine or firewall engine of the ZA is the vsmon.exe. It is listed in Windows as a Service- hence it is tough. Basically nothing can disable it unless it does it itself or by Windows. There is an advantage and disadvantage to restarts in the services properties. Good if the application needed to be restarted, but bad if the system is crashing or in error and the repeated restarts just makes the whole thing even worse.

Tracing the Event Viewer is the best method. There should be an "Event ID" in the Properties.

A short list of the error code

Security:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q174074/

A more complete list of Event ID:

http://www.chicagotech.net/wineventid.htm

What is the exact event ids for the errors shown in the event viewer? What are the categories and other details?

Oldsod

Message Edited by Oldsod on 02-20-2007 05:17 AM
    Best regards.
    oldsod

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information