Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VSMON high CPU usage ONLY WHEN UPLOADING :)

nitefly Guest

Default VSMON high CPU usage ONLY WHEN UPLOADING :)

Hi therelast release of ZA works fine.Except when i try to upload some data to hosts like RapidShare, MegaUpload & so on using either Internet Explore, FireFoxor some utilities such as RapidUp.In this case, VSMON uses up to 99% of CPU and when UpLoad ends VSMON usage turns
    back low as usual.
    Any Idea ?

Operating System:Windows 2000 Pro
    Product Name:ZoneAlarm (Free)
    Software Version:6.5

Default Re: VSMON high CPU usage ONLY WHEN UPLOADING :)

what are you using to upload with?
    My homes are SpywareHammer.com and DonHoover.net and BleepingComputer.com

Consumer Security - 2011 & 2012

Tilting at windmills hurts you more than the windmills.
    -From the Notebooks of Lazarus Long
    Senior of the Howard Families

nitefly Guest

I told it in my main post.I upload via Internet Explorer or FireFox or some utilities like Rapidget or RapidUp

I am blind. Do you have passive transfer turned on?
    My homes are SpywareHammer.com and DonHoover.net and BleepingComputer.com

Consumer Security - 2011 & 2012

Tilting at windmills hurts you more than the windmills.
    -From the Notebooks of Lazarus Long
    Senior of the Howard Families

nitefly Guest

PASV ?i don't think so; anyway it's a HTTP upload and not an FTP one.

zalzankavol Guest

<blockquote><hr>NiteFly wrote:
    I upload via Internet Explorer or FireFox or some utilities like Rapidget or RapidUp
    <hr></blockquote>

I'm having exactly the same problem. vsmon is using so many resources that it is killing my machine. Anyone have any clues on how to stop it doing this?

Thanks.

vsmonproblem Guest

Hey,
    anyone got a clue? I also have to suffer from this problem and the only way to solve it is closing ZA and to hope for a good Windows Firewall job...

This vsmon problem is really annoying...

hubsy Guest

This is a right pain in the arse.
    vsmon resorces get larger and larger as the upload to rapidshare progresses, till eventually at 99% the upload and computer grind to a halt.
    only way around it is to shutdown ZA and reatart ZA after the file starts uploading. Not a lot of good when you are trying to upload many files.
    winxp sp2rapiduploader v1.2
    still got 10 days to ask for my money back if it can't be solved.

vsmonproblem Guest

I think you should make the step back, because I did not get any advice on this. Furthermore no users outside in the large internet could help concerning this matter.

rhshoff Guest

<blockquote><hr>vsmonproblem wrote:
    I think you should make the step back, because I did not get any advice on this. Furthermore no users outside in the large internet could help concerning this matter.
    <hr></blockquote>

I too have been encountering similar CPU hogging issues with VSMON in the ZA Security Suite v7.0.462, but up until today, it's been mostly a nuisance.

However, today when I began to use a web-based online file storage site (MediaMax), the problem became totally unacceptable! As soon as I begin the file upload process, VSMON immediately spikes my CPU usage up to 89% - 99% and stays there until the entire file is uploaded - and when file(s) being uploaded is any large audio / video file(s) can take 5 - 10 minutes (or longer). This is just totally unacceptable behavior.

I have Cable Modem as my Net connectivity, using Firefox 2.0 running on WinXP SP2. I have no problems sending/receiving emails with large attachments or with downloading large files from any Web sites (except for the inherent limitations of the download server latencies).

And I shouldn't need to &quot;lower my security defenses&quot; to be able to conduct normal internet processes &amp; operations - ZA should have some type of built-in user alert mechanism that alerts the user that a program is attempting a large file / block transfer and asks if this is acceptable - and if the user accepts the, then the VSMON process should either run at a lower priority or be suspended from processing that block file transfer.

If there is no way to configure ZASS / VSMON to minimize is this type of processor overhead without compromising system security, then I may consider discontinuing use of Zone Labs products.

seriously concerned about this issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information